Can Beersmith account for efficiency change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picker

Reaction score
I have a recipe from a local brewery for a seasonal beer of theirs that I enjoy. They are very generous in providing recipes for all the beers they brew. The recipe they made available has an efficiency of 80%, but I'm usually around 70%. Can Beersmith calculate the amounts of grains I need for my 70% efficiency?

Yes you can build the recipe in Beersmith exactly as seen with the efficiency that they claim for the recipe.

You then "Scale Recipe" and select your equipment profile. It will take the efficiency and other inputs you have set for your specific equipment profile and change the recipe amounts to fit your equipment and efficiency in order to hit the same numbers (OG, Final Volume, etc.) as the original recipe. Of course for this to work properly you must have your equipment profile set up properly to match your rig.

Make sense? Hope it helps.

What equipment profile would I use to enter it?

What equipment profile would I use to enter it?

You would want to use your own Equipment Profile because the pre-set profiles are just staring points that aren't going to match your equipment.

From the top menu you would go in Profiles>Equipment then click "Add Equipment" at the top.

At this point everything you input is up to you. It is going to want a bunch of parameters that only you know in regards to your equipment such as efficiency, kettle volume, hourly boil off, trub losses, etc. These parameters are used in the calculations for scaling recipes.

OK, I get it. Use my profile, select Scale Recipe, then change the efficiency to match my actual efficiency. Thanks!

Back