Whirlfloc tablets question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
According to the bottle where it came it states to add one tablet at 15 min before flame out...but Midwest states that you should only add half a tablet at 5 minutes and that any longer than 10 minutes before flame out would ruin the ability of the moss to work to its potential .....my question is whom should i follow ?

When i used them i used at 5 minute. But seems to work better to just do longer fermentation with a more compacted yeast cake for clearer brew

I would go with either 10 or 15 minutes from the end of the boil (or someplace between them). I've had solid results with those times.

IMO, though, a rapid wort cooling method will do more for you. Getting the wort from boil to pitch temp FAST will give you a good cold break. Then just give the brew long enough to clean before going to bottle or keg and you'll be fine.

I had a batch that I completely forgot to add Irish Moss to. Still came out really clear. Probably because I chill the wort FAST (great plate chiller). There are others that have also forgotten to use Irish Moss/Whirlfloc and still had great brew. I think the trick is more knowing the yeast, how long to give it, and good yeast selection. Personally, I normally go for yeast that is rated at least 'high' in flocculation. The yeast used in yesterday's batch is rated 'medium' but that's ok since it's a BIG brew and will have plenty of time to settle/clear in either primary or aging vessel. It's a barley wine (just over 15% is the projected ABV) that will be 10-12 months before going to keg/bottle.

Longer fermentation meaning two weeks with 5 minutes tablet and then secondary ? Or just a long primary ?

Longer fermentation meaning two weeks with 5 minutes tablet and then secondary ? Or just a long primary ?

Long primary. Time depends on the recipe being brewed.

For me, an OG under 1.060 gets 2-3 weeks. OG of 1.060-1.70 gets 3-5 weeks. OG of 1.070-1.080 gets 5-7 weeks. Over 1.080 gets 8+ weeks, or until it's ready for next steps. Those can be anything from going to keg to aging vessel for long term aging time on things like oak/wood or something else that works BEST off of the yeast. I've had brews in primary for 12 weeks with zero issue. There are others that have gone 6 months in primary without any negative effects.

BTW, those are all my 'guidelines'... IF anything, I can go longer. I won't go shorter than 2-3 weeks in primary no matter what the brew is. I have one brewed on 10/6 that can go to keg at any time, but hasn't yet. It's just under 1.060 for the OG, so I could have kegged it a week ago, but haven't. Since it's sitting in the cooler part of the basement (around 58F currently), I have zero concerns.

I like your guidelines ...I may adopt them as well since it makes sense...

I like your guidelines ...I may adopt them as well since it makes sense...

That's what happens from almost two years of experience. I've been using the same few yeast strains for the majority of my brews for that entire time. IMO, learning both the yeast strains you use, and picking said strains, is much more important than many realize. Just as fermenting the beer at the correct temperature (or range) is very important. You need to get the temperature inside the fermenter, not the ambient air temp.

BTW, as you grow as a brewer, you'll develop your own methods (and style) of brewing. A lot depends on where you are, what you're brewing, and how you brew it.

My next lesson is just that...I'm trying to learn the washing of yeast to reuse and learning what yeast does what in the molecular lever this way i can be asured that when i pick a strand it will act as i intend it ..

My next lesson is just that...I'm trying to learn the washing of yeast to reuse and learning what yeast does what in the molecular lever this way i can be asured that when i pick a strand it will act as i intend it ..

Let me guess, iphone auto-correcting made you it's biotch?? lol :D

I've been using Wyeast 1882-PC for many batches. I've also used 1335 for a lot, getting great results. I've used 1318 for a few more batches, when I want what it provides. Used 1728 for a couple of batches (when needed, such as for the wee heavy made last December). I've also sampled some other Wyeast Private Collection strains, then either dismissing them (didn't like 1469 at all) or adding them to my use list. I'm working to keep that list as short as possible. But, Wyeast provides a really good amount of information on their strains. So, IMO, you can pick with confidence.

Something else to consider, besides washing/harvesting from primary. Make starters that provide more yeast than you'll need for a batch. Reserve a small part of that starter, and make another starter to get the cell count up. Then harvest/store the yeast from that for future use. I'm doing that for my last packet of 1882-PC that I used. Just need to get what's in the bottom of the flask into vials and fridge/freeze them (one into the fridge, rest will be frozen). Read up on freezing yeast too, so you don't kill it all in the process. :eek:

I'll add whirlfloc at 10 or 5 min. I will only use half a tablet even in a 10 gal batch. 1 tablet for 5 gal is overkill.

Let me guess, iphone auto-correcting made you it's biotch?? lol :D

LOL I hate this auto correct thing lol

Yup, just another reason I don't have an iphoney. I also have to make sure I review the posts made from different tablets to make sure they don't "auto-correct" into something that's not correct. You would think the damned things would LEARN by now. :drunk:

Yup, just another reason I don't have an iphoney. I also have to make sure I review the posts made from different tablets to make sure they don't "auto-correct" into something that's not correct. You would think the damned things would LEARN by now. :drunk:

Soon I will be iphoney no more.. I am just waiting for November so I can say Bye Bye to it forever :rockin:

Tossed my last crackberry over a year ago and went to a Droid Razr. Much better device and OS. Just waiting until I can get a new device at a better rate and I'll get another Android powered phone.

I'll add whirlfloc at 10 or 5 min. I will only use half a tablet even in a 10 gal batch. 1 tablet for 5 gal is overkill.

Per Northern Brewer "A blend of Irish moss and purified carrageenan that help precipitate haze-causing proteins and beta glucans. Use one tablet per 5 gallons in the last 15 minutes of the boil."

More Beer says "Add for the final 5 minutes of the boil.

Note: One Whirlfloc tablet is good for 10-15 gallons of wort. We suggest using half a tablet for 5 gallon batches for most beers."

Midwest says " Use one tablet per 10 gallon batch (For 5 gallon batches, cut a tablet in half. Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. "

All these different opinions is why I started the thread

You do know that you can turn it auto correct off.............

Your guideline seem very good for primary, but what do you do fro secondary fermentation before bottling? Any time frames here?

Denny I just read the Northern Brewers post and its amazing how many people are confused with this... The bottle says one thing, the baggies say something different and the home brewers have all different opinions.. Wow.. :confused:

Then try it and decide for yourself. That's what I did.

Find what works for you and stick with it. That is one of the beauties of this hobby. There are a "loose" set of dos and don'ts to follow, but for the most part you make your process your own.

I rarely use irish moss or whirlfloc tabs, only when they come with a kit. To make it easier for me, I just throw it in at 15 min with my chiller. Is it right? I dont know but it works for me.

Back