Questioning my IPA hop schedule... Too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
I am starting to think that maybe my hop schedule on my latest IPA may be a bit too much. I am using some of my favorite hops, but I just don't know if they are the right amounts at the right times. What do you think? The program I am using says it will be 63 IBUs (tinseth).

75 min - 0.5 oz Chinook (13%AA)
30 min - 0.5 oz Chinook (13%AA)
15 min - 0.5 oz Cascade (4.7%AA)
15 min - 0.5 oz Simcoe (13%AA)
15 min - 0.25 oz Chinook (13%AA)
01 min - 0.5 oz Simcoe (13%AA)
01 min - 1.0 oz Cascade (4.7%AA)
Dry hop - 1.0 oz Cascade (4.7%AA)
Dry hop - 0.5 oz Chinook (13%AA)

Is there such a thing as too much?

Make this one and see how you like it. Then next time you brew adjust the schedule slightly and see how it affects the end result.

Looks fine to me. I never dry hop an IPA with less than 2oz, FWIW. I shoot for an even BU:GU ratio, so in your case I'd want an OG of 1.063 and no more. I would rather the bittering units be higher than the gravity units for my IPA's.

it's simple. GU is gravity units. So in your case it would be simplified to 65, instead of 1.065. Bittering units is 63 because that is your IBU's. Ray Daniels, in his book "Designing Great Beers" uses this method to determine balance within styles. Each style has its guidelines for BU:GU. I use it with a grain of salt though. I've found that I like my IPA's to be an even BU:GU, or slightly higher on the BU end.

I think your hop schedule looks just fine. I think the point about the BU/GU balance is very important, but I'm of a different opinion on how what the ratio should be. I think your BU/GU ratio should always be > 1 for an IPA. In other words, you should have more IBU's than GU's. So I don't think your beer has too much hops at all, in fact, I'd say you just barely have enough for my tastes. :D

But that's the point, it all comes down to taste. I'd say go with what you've got and see how *you* like it.

Certainly not over the top, here is the hop bill I used for 5 gallons of 1.070 IPA a couple weeks back:

Boil Hops
3.00 oz. Columbus (Pellet 11.00% AA) @ 90 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus (Pellet 11.00% AA) @ 45 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe (Pellet 12.40% AA) @ 30 min.
3.00 oz. Amarillo (Pellet 8.60% AA) @ 0 min.
2.00 oz. Simcoe (Pellet 12.40% AA) @ 0 min.

Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Columbus (Whole 11.00% AA)
1.00 oz. Amarillo (Whole 8.60% AA)
1.00 oz. Simcoe (Whole 12.70% AA)

Keg Hop
1.00 oz. Columbus (Whole 11.00% AA)
1.00 oz. Amarillo (Whole 8.60% AA)
1.00 oz. Simcoe (Whole 12.70% AA)

Now that is (almost) too much.

I think most IPAs have more IBUs than gravity units or at least they are close and this one is well within range and looks like it would be tasty.

I can't remember who wrote it but basically to the effect that IPAs and IIPAs should have more IBUs than gravity units. I think it was Vinny at Russian River.

Your fine on that. I am doing one tonight that uses 2oz Chinook at 60, 1oz at 30, 2 oz Cascade at 10 and 2 at FO. Plus 2 oz dry hop. Says the IBU's are astronomically high but it really comes out balanced. It's all about tastes...

I am using the Bell's Two Hearted grain bill, so it should be a nice base. I definitely want those citrusy/piney hops to be the focus, but I want it to be balanced too.

Back