Large Initial Starter vs. Stepping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
I was just wondering the benfits of stepping up a smaller starter rather than just making a bigger starter to begin with.

I normally make 1 to 2 Qt. starters and I never start small and keep adding to them. Is there any harm in doing it that way? Is it better to start at 1 or 2 pints and then step up?

Thanks!

With 1 vial or smack pak 1 a liter or 2 quart starter is okay, when making a larger starter you definitely want to step it up unless you are using more than 1 vial or smack pack. It mainly has to do with yeast stress and whatnot.

I think the advantage of starting with smaller amounts (which is what I do) is that you have a higher relative population of yeast cells. The purpose of making a starter is to increase the pitching rate in your 5 or 10 gallon batch. Thus, it stands to reason that you are better off starting with a smaller starter, and stepping it up.

My best starters used to be built geometrically -- that is, I would start with 1 pint, then add 2 pints the next day, then 4 pints the next, which would usually be my brewday. Then, when I was ready to pitch into a 10 gallon batch, I had a 7 pint starter that was already approaching high kraeusen.

Either White Labs vials or Wyeast Activator packs pitched into a 2L/2Qt starter are going to be just fine. You're pitching a lot of cells from those.

Stepping up a starter is done to prevent yeast stress and infection. Since bacteria can grow much faster than yeast, a large starting colony is a good idea, so the yeast can get established more quickly and overtake upstart bacteria.

If you need to step up to larger volumes, do so in 4-fold increments.

Back