Force carbing then bringing to room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NamasteIPA

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question, that I think I know the answer to but wanted your input.

I am fermenting my IPA for a family get together that will be out at a camp site.

I typically force carb and leave in the kegerator of course. But can I force carb, then take it out of the kegerator and bring up to room temp again for travel? I know the colder, the faster it carbs. But once it's carbed is it good? Or will it loose carbonation to some degree as it warms back up?

I would naturally carb, but I've only got about a week and a half before the trip.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,

Grant

Assuming you have no leaks and fermentation was complete when you kegged, it's no problem. You'll have the same carbonation when you chill it back down for serving.

Awesome! That would be great in this situation. Have you done it before?

I have removed plenty of kegs from the fridge when I really wanted something else on tap ASAP. When the kegs go back in the fridge and chill, they are good to go. There's really no reason the carbonation should change if your keg is sealed.

the only change is the pressure. i put mine in the stream with a party tap on it.. it was super cold and only took about 1 hour to get cold.. the only thing i didnt do was take my thermometer to see how cold it was for my serving pressure so i hooked up the gas and slowly turned it up untill i could hear gas moving and turned it down a little and purged it. if i remember it was at about 10 to 15 psi is what it was at.. found out also not to keep my co2 bottle in the sun because the regulator freaked out and i lost half the bottle.lol. i also put a blockade of rocks around it so when it emptied it didnt float away..

If you're going camping, it helps to jump the beer to a new keg to leave the sludge behind.

So, carbonate at home, let settle for a few days. Then, pull 2 pints to remove the sludge from around the liquid dip tube. Next, hook up two liquid QDs with some tubing, vent pressure from the keg with beer, and connect the "out" tube of the beer keg to the "out" tube of the destination keg. Attach gas to the beer keg, and set the reg at 2-4 PSI, (just enough to push the beer). Slowly push the beer with CO2 from your beer keg to your destination keg, watch the tubing closely. When all the beer is transferred and it starts to suck sludge again, stop the transfer.

This gives you a keg full of clear beer without sludge that can be stirred up by the transportation.

I don't typically have sludge in my kegs? Just to note, I will be doing two stages of fermentation and then transferring to the keg, force carbing it, then taking it on the trip.

After the second stage of fermentation I figure it's clean and sludge free for the most part right?

Sorry if I sound like a newbie. I more or less am.

Ah, my bad. I assume that everyone is like me, and goes straight from primary -> keg. Primary only is becoming very common, but of course this doesn't mean no one uses secondaries. My mistake....you'll be just fine as you're planning.

Back