Conveting Extract to AG: steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
I have been searching all morning, and my tangential nature has allowed me to find lots of interesting things to read. However, I still am looking for a simple answer to my question that started my searching.

I have an extract reciped with specialty grains. I love this recipe. I want to try to convert it to AG, but I have stumped myself with over complicating questions. I'll keep it basic, because I will bore you otherwise, lol.

In converting an extract recipe that contains specialty grains, do I mash the specialties, or should I keep them out and mash only what replaces the extracts, and steep the specialties as well?

:mug:

The only thing that worries me is how a few references site that steeping for too long creates tannins... so a 20-30min steep turned into a 60min mash qualifies as over-steeping in my head (its a crazy place, my head... so be gentle).

The only thing that worries me is how a few references site that steeping for too long creates tannins... so a 20-30min steep turned into a 60min mash qualifies as over-steeping in my head (its a crazy place, my head... so be gentle).

Over steeping can induce some tannin extraction because of the high ratio of water to grain and the lack of mash enzyme activity which helps control pH. Do not make the mistake of extrapolating extra brewing grain steeping techniques to all grain mashing. :mug:

basically i would make life more complicated ('tis the norm for me to do...), and i should just throw it in the mash. awesome, thanks for the help guys.

Back