brewing for football season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
anyone brewing or planning on brewing any specific recipes to have ready for football this year

Need to start doing something about that. I like something flavorful but not too much alcohol, and maybe on the malty side as things get into fall.

Nothing specific yet, but some initial thoughts are a scottish 70-/ or 80-/ perhaps. Dunkelweizen. Oktoberfest if I feel like lagering. I did an alt for the super bowl last year that I really loved. Also thinking about a brown, either british or american style. Dark saison is also a consideration.

I'm not brewing anything specifically for football season this year, but here's what I had last year:

Imperial Brown Ale (Surly Brewing Co AHA rally recipe)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.67 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Surly / AHA Rally Beer Recipe
82% Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt
10.8% Fawcett Brown Malt
3.6% Dark Candi Syrup
1.8% Fawcett Crystal 85L
1.8% Fawcett Dark Crystal 120L
Bittering –Columbus
Whirlpool/aroma -Willamette
OG 19.5
IBU 64

for 5 Gallons:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
13 lbs 8.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.00 %
1 lbs 12.5 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 10.80 %
4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.80 %
4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.80 %
9.5 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 3.60 %

1oz Columbus at 60 min
1oz Willamette at 5 min

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.94 %
Bitterness: 0.0 IBU Calories: 238 cal/pint
Est Color: 26.5 SRM

It's not low gravity... but it seemed to be perfect for the season!

I am in the middle of planning my lineup. A mix of hoppy beers & Dark beers
IPAs,Pale Ales,Porters and Stouts

Here is my line up:

1) American Pale Ale

2) Columbus / Amarillo IPA

3) Porter

This should cover the beginning of the season at least ha. I am going to have to gradually up the ABV to calm my nerves as the season picks up, because I have no idea how the chargers are going to do this season.

I'll be brewing a lot of low gravity beer. I like to wake up on Saturdays, watch College Gameday, get the smoker (or chili / stew later in the season) going when it gets close to noon, and start drinking at the first kick off. And keep drinking slowly throughout the day (along with eating a lot) until the last game is over / bed time. Sometimes I'll take a nap around the 6-8 lull if there's a good primetime game. Next week I'll start brewing up batches of mild, a low gravity ginger beer, a yellow fizzy beer and an amber similar to fat tire. Right now I'm making a low abv smoked brown ale, I just took 4 lbs of barley off the smoker. Mmmm mesquite.

anyone brewing or planning on brewing any specific recipes to have ready for football this year

ooh good idea. I really should get a lower gravity pale and something like an alt going. It's gotta be something I can drink a dozen of.

The Bills make me drink far more than I should.

For me FOOTBALL = FALL!! Nothing specifically for football..but I'm a huge fan of fall so I'm doing an Oktoberfest next week (hopefully it's not a big deal that I haven't brewed it already) and then two weeks after that I'm doing a smoked porter and a dunkelweizen. I did a pumpkin ale a year ago with real pie pumpkin pulp and it has been conditioning for a year, so I'm pretty stoked about trying that one!

So, recap....Oktoberfest, Dunkelweizen, Smoked Porter, and Pumpkin Ale.

Do you mind sharing your smoked porter recipe? I'm on brew #2 tonight which is a smoked brown ale. I smoked 4 lbs of malt on my smoker, but I'm worried that I toasted them more than smoked. I need to figure out how to hold a really low temperature (smoking wise, i.e. 150ish) while keeping the smoke going on the smoker. I also used mesquite today, while I use hickory 95% of the time. I like hickory a lot more.

Do you mind sharing your smoked porter recipe?

This will actually be the first time I'm doing one. I'm going to try Jamil Zainasheff's Smoked Robust Porter...but I do plan on smoking my own grains. I found this thread to be extremely helpful in how I am going to approach the smoking process....

I am doing a Red today and will look at doing maybe a breakfast beer (oatmeal stout or something close). We tailgate for just about every Georgia game, so will need a few beers.

Back