Unintentional Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
I just did my first batch with my new brew keggle. On flameout, I started running thru my newly built CFC and everything was working beautifully except that the wort was much darker than I expected. This was a bitter kit that I got from Austin Homebrew; Still playing around with extract until I know more to try an AG. My problem is that I did not get enough of a stir during the boil, in addition to having the heat too high, and some of the extract scorched on the bottom of the keggle which caused the dark color. I tasted the sample from my OG test and it had a bitter taste similar to a burnt chocolate chip cookie, but wasn't horrible. I'm sitting here looking at the carboys and it looks more like a stout than an ale. Is my brew ruined? Will fermentation be affected? Thanks :(

Chairman Cheyco said:
Fermentation will be fine. You may have to let it age for quite a while, but mostly the scorchy flavor will dissapate. Mostly.

Er, so I've heard...

;)

I was hoping that was the case. It's in the primary for about 3 hours now and starting to bubble a bit.

I guess I can always pass it off as a really thin stout:D

Thanks for the advice that's totally based on others' experiences...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back