effects of light on fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleton

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting all the parts together for my first run. My question is about the effects of light durring fermentation. What I want to do is set up a digital camera to take pics every 30 to 60 miniutes and make a timelapse video of the fermentation and clearing. Would having a light come on long enough to take a pic that often cause problems for the yeast? Has anyone doen anything like this before?

Simpleton

I doubt it would be a problem. I have mine in the basement and turn on the light down there to check on it and it doesn't affect it. I just make sure that I protect mine from sunlight, since no matter where I put it, the sun comes in the basement window and shines right at it.

I'd be worried about fluorescent lights, otherwise you'll be just fine doing as you say. Sounds like a really cool project as well, make sure to post it!

If I do get video, I will be sure to share. I'm also going to see if I can document my temp controller I am building. I am going to be using one of those arduino knockoffs connected to a computer. I have the controller, I'm just waiting for the rest of my goods from digikey.

Latest posts

Back