First Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FooFan

Reaction score
Just wondering.
I brewed my first lager last week. I was just checking on it. When I opened my ferm chamber I noticed a "stinky" smell. Kind of like mold or something.

Do ales and lagers give off s different smell while fermenting?

Cheers

Oh, yes, lagers can throw a lot of sulfur and can smell pretty stinky. As long as you pitched enough yeast and have it at the proper temperature, it'll get better!

Yooper said:
Oh, yes, lagers can throw a lot of sulfur and can smell pretty stinky. As long as you pitched enough yeast and have it at the proper temperature, it'll get better!

Thanks Yooper... I pitched a 3L started so I think I am ok.

Now that you mention it... sulfur is the smell that's smelling smelly.

I just brewed a Singha malt liquor and it smelled sulfury (rotten eggs) for the first few days. It went away and now smells and tastes pretty good! I did 10 gal but the brew store only had one package of the yeast the recipe called for. They gave me two different kinds that were supposedly the same strain. However, one started quickly and the other lagged for about 4 days before it started bubbling. They ended up both tasting good.

How long did yours lag and at what temperature did you ferment?

I would say the yeast started to get very active in about 24h.

I have the fermentor set to 51d for primary fermentation.

Back