Bottle vs Carboy aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castawayales

Reaction score
I want to free up a carboy, yet am aging a batch at basement temp. @ 60. Would like it cooler, but don't have a fridge to use.

Any thoughts on bottling the batch and letting it age that way?

Wine makes a difference when aged in bulk, how about beer?

Thanks,
Barry

There are, as you might imagine, people on all five or six sides of this discussion. I believe bulk aging helps, but I've never done any side by side comparisons. I'm convinced one of the reasons kegged beer is better is bulk aging, though.

If it has been sitting for more than two weeks, I'd say bottle it.

I agree with david_42: there may be some subtle differences between bottle and bulk aging, but this is a hobby, not a job, so don't sweat it.

You may have a little more sediment than usual in the bottom of the bottles: that extra bit that would have settled out in the secondary if you'd left it there longer.

david_42 said:
I believe bulk aging helps, but I've never done any side by side comparisons. I'm convinced one of the reasons kegged beer is better is bulk aging, though.
This is an interesting thought. I've been kegging for about a year now and I am still trying to get my brain around how the process can vary the end-result taste and presentation of the beer. I've force carbonated and keg conditioned and can readily taste a difference between the two but there seem to be a lot of other variables that I don't undertand quite yet. I would probably make a similar judgement that you have made though - bulk aging produces a better beer. I simply have not done the hundreds of batches I think it will take to make this a more informed, scientific opinion.

If you consider carbonation a by product of botling, then yes.

I am wondering more about flavoring aspects of ageing, and if a beer is aged at a cool, not cold, temps. Sort of a Cave Dweller approach where the temps usually are in the 50's year round.

By the way I am using Wyeast's Ocktoberfest Lager Blend.

Barry

Castawayales said:
I am wondering more about flavoring aspects of ageing, and if a beer is aged at a cool, not cold, temps. Sort of a Cave Dweller approach where the temps usually are in the 50's year round.

By the way I am using Wyeast's Ocktoberfest Lager Blend.
A few years back a friend of mine used that yeast on an Ocktoberfest. He primed it in a keg and let it age out in his mid-50's cellar for about 4 months. It was one of the top 4 or 5 homebrews I've ever tasted in my life.

Quote from John Palmer on Secondary vs. Bottle Conditioning.

John Palmer said:
Secondary Fermentor vs. Bottle Conditioning

Conditioning is a function of the yeast, therefore it is logical that the greater yeast mass in the fermentor is more effective at conditioning than the smaller amount of suspended yeast in the bottle. This is why I recommend that you give your beer more time in the fermentor before bottling. When you add the priming sugar and bottle your beer, the yeast go through the same three stages of fermentation as the main batch, including the production of byproducts. If the beer is bottled early, i.e. 1 week old, then that small amount of yeast in the bottle has to do the double task of conditioning the priming byproducts as well as those from the main ferment. You could very well end up with an off-flavored batch.

Do not be confused, I am not saying that bottle conditioning is bad, it is different. Studies have shown that priming and bottle conditioning is a very unique form of fermentation due to the oxygen present in the head space of the bottle. Additional fermentables have been added to the beer to produce the carbonation, and this results in very different ester profiles than those that are normally produced in the main fermentor. In some styles, like Belgian Strong Ale, bottle conditioning and the resultant flavors are the hallmark of the style. These styles cannot be produced with the same flavors via kegging.

For the best results, the beer should be given time in a secondary fermentor before priming and bottling. Even if the yeast have flocculated and the beer has cleared, there are still active yeast in suspension that will ferment the priming sugar and carbonate the beer.

I'll add that I am firmly in the bulk aging camp.

John

Looks like a reprieve from bottling is in order. After the recent posts, it appears I'm off to get a new carboy and hiding this one under the stairs for a few more weeks.

Thanks again gentlemen for your insights and information

Barry

I would think bulk helps the flavor to stay uniform if anything. Rather then have multiple storage containers for the beer.

Latest posts

Back