Vanilla robust porter question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
three weeks in the primary...

OG 1.072
today, 1.012

still have groups of bubbles on the surface that look like little soap bubbles...I don;t get it, this has never happened to me before, the top always goes clear and smooth as glass...now this is the second time in a row...the first was with a dunkelweisse...I was going to rack to a secondary and add vanilla beans, but now not so sure...it doesn't seem like an infection and I tasted it when I took the gravity reading and it tastes a bit green, but nothing of significance...

what the heck??

Did you by any chance move the primary before opening the lid and taking a sample? If this is the case you probably just loosened up some of the CO2. Another thought is that if the last two brews were fermented/conditioned cooler than your previous beers, the CO2 may just be more inclined to stick around longer as it is more soluble in colder temperatures.

Anyway, it seems like there's no reason you shouldn't go ahead and transfer to secondary to add the vanilla. I doubt you have enough CO2 action going on to scrub away the flavor.

Three weeks I would say ur good to transfer to secondary for the vanilla. Its probably just left over co2 that was stuck in the trub. What was your reciepe, I was thinking about doing a vanilla porter?

Did you by any chance move the primary before opening the lid and taking a sample? If this is the case you probably just loosened up some of the CO2. Another thought is that if the last two brews were fermented/conditioned cooler than your previous beers, the CO2 may just be more inclined to stick around longer as it is more soluble in colder temperatures.

Anyway, it seems like there's no reason you shouldn't go ahead and transfer to secondary to add the vanilla. I doubt you have enough CO2 action going on to scrub away the flavor.

these were my first two brews since early fall and the basement is about 6 degrees cooler....so that might be it, thx.

i am using the bee cave robust porter recipe from brewmaster warehouse and playing around with the vanilla....the robust porter is my 3rd time, it is an amazing recipe if you like porters, blows smuttynose away, lots of chewy moutheel and choc/coffee overtones...I added 2oz of homemade special blend vanilla extract (Sonoma syrup co)in the last 5 minutes of the boil, i'll add the beans I used to make the extract into the secondary and then just adjust if needed into the botling bucket...strictly winging the vanilla part, but definitely recommend the bee cave robust porter as your base.
Three weeks I would say ur good to transfer to secondary for the vanilla. Its probably just left over co2 that was stuck in the trub. What was your reciepe, I was thinking about doing a vanilla porter?

Slomo- Denny's bourbon vanilla porter is the recipe that I have used, I skip the bourbon and just make it a vanilla porter though.

Beernewb-be careful w those vanilla beans, they are potent! For my first try at this recipe I used 1 bean cut into quarters in the 2ndary and it was about perfect. I have another batch in primary now that will be going to 2ndary in the next few days......

i am using the bee cave robust porter recipe from brewmaster warehouse and playing around with the vanilla....the robust porter is my 3rd time, it is an amazing recipe if you like porters, blows smuttynose away, lots of chewy moutheel and choc/coffee overtones...I added 2oz of homemade special blend vanilla extract (Sonoma syrup co)in the last 5 minutes of the boil, i'll add the beans I used to make the extract into the secondary and then just adjust if needed into the botling bucket...strictly winging the vanilla part, but definitely recommend the bee cave robust porter as your base.

If I may make a general cooking suggestion. Never boil extracts. Many of the flavor compounds are destroyed under high heat. This is why most candy recipes add the flavors post boil.

Back