Motueka/Wakatu NZ Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
I've been looking for a Pale Ale, or NZ IPA, that's predominately Lemon/Lime flavor. Doesn't have to be overpowering on the lemon and lime, but I'd like those to stick out the most. Also, not looking for any bracing bitterness from what I've read most NZ hops don't give that anyway. I've also read that later hop additions seem to be better for these hops so I am using all the hops at 30 min and less. I'm thinking of moving the 30 min to 20 min as I have read that some people feel they get more flavor/aroma out of these at that point instead of 30.

I found Northern Brewers Kiwi Express, but that's using Nelson with Wakatu and Motueka and I think the Nelson is going to give more tropical/white wine flavors than what I'm looking for.

Not being able to find anything fitting what I'm thinking I threw something together quick and looking for some feedback.

65% Efficiency
5.5 gal Batch
12.25lbs Pale Ale Malt
.6lb Caramel 20L

Estimated OG - 1.056
Estimated FG - 1.013

.5oz Motueka - 30 min - 9.77IBU
.5oz Wakatu - 30 min - 8.92IBU
1oz Motueka - 10 min - 9.13IBU
1oz Wakatu - 10min - 8.33IBU
1.5oz Motueka - Whirlpool
1.5oz Wakatu - Whirlpool

Total IBU - 36.2

I have been using WY1272 (American Ale 2) on most brews lately and am liking it. So far Irish Red, Irish/sweet Stout (more Caramel malt than a normla dry stout), and Christmas Ale (Holly from these forums). I'm willing to go with a different strain if someone thinks it will help carry the fruity aspect of this recipe, but otherwise have some 1272 washed and ready to go.

Haven't made it. LHBS didn't have wakatu when I was looking to make this and I didn't revisit this. Might shortly though. Trying to figure out what I want to make to "finish up summer," then on to fall brews.

I made the Kiwi Express kit last year and I was really pleased with the results. Got it off a friend who decided he didn't want to brew it. I added 2 more lbs of base malt and a 0.5lb of table sugar to boost the ABV up to 7% but made no other modifications. It definitely had a nice lime flavor to it and was well balanced. I fermented with US-05.

I think your recipe looks good, but if you are a wierdo like me who spends as much time sniffing his IPAs as drinking, then you should add 3+ oz of dry hops.

Back