How much Melanoidin suggested?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working up an amber that needs some red hue to it. One of the things I'm considering is adding some melanoidin malt, but the question is how much. A little extra maltiness is ok, but I don't want too much. Here's what I'm thinking so far.

6# pale DME
.5# crystal 40L
.5# crystal 60L
.25# Melanoidin?

1 oz Willamette @ 60 mins
1 oz Amarillo @ 15 mins
1 oz Amarillo dryhop

What do you all think?

In my experience, melanoidin gets noticeable fast. I tried an amber with 8oz that was over the top. One other option that has worked for me in the past is to use 2 oz chocolate malt for color with little flavor in an amber.

Hmm ok. The other thing I had though about for red color was some roasted barley. Wiki suggests less than 1%. For a just a little red hue, maybe a tiny tiny bit?

I used 8oz in a Belgian Amber and it was pretty malty. I'd probably drop down to 4oz if I brewed it again.

Ok wierdly enough I cannot get enough melanoidin... so maybe I am not the best source. However, I would not stop at using half pound or more, in a hoppy beer anyway. Your recipe may be light enough to cut back to 1/2 oz?

I'm not sure how well it steeps. It will not convert it's self. Steeping it you may need more of it anyway. I mashed a pound in a five gallon batch and I thought it was too much (but the beer was still good.) I don't think it's the best way to get the 12-15 SRM for a red color beer.

Do people get the same overwhelming flavor from CaraRed? How about combining Carared with Melanoidin? Maybe 1/2 lb of the first and a 1/4 lb of the second, or something.

Latest posts

Back