Mulch for around hop hills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I have read a lot of methods..I want to put mulch around my hops in my raised garden. This is mainly to keep grass and weeds from growing. Should I worry about the dyes in most mulch? Will it leak into the hops or should I think about wood chips of some sort instead..I have read the dyes used in mulch is bad for vegtable gardens but have not sene anything with hops.

any advice is helpful

Jay

You can use a non-dyed mulch, I know at work we sell natural mulches that are just straight wood without any chemicals.

I'll second the un-dyed mulch. I used cedar mulch on my raised beds. make sure you keep the mulch a couple inches away from the bine itself though. This will help discourage moss and mildew and what not from forming at the base of the plant.

Mulch, IMO, is a must though to help retain water in the dry summer months.

maybe off topic but why would anyone ever use dyed mulch, the whole idea is counterintuitive.
-ander

could be.. i was told that while decomposing.. they let off a crap load of nitrogen.. and too much can be bad for your plants..

I've been gardening for a long time and have used several different mulches. I've had the best luck with pine bark nuggets. Their an all natural byproduct of logging and dont get too compacted, slowing down decomposition.

I'd go with grass hay. Straw hay would be better. It helps trap in air for the cold nights and yet keeps out the sun for your weed control(personally, I don't put a dang thing around them, even when it's in the single digits outside. They're a weed, they'll survive.)

I use moldy hay. It's partially composted already & nearly free. The hay molds don't seem to bother the hops.

Latest posts

Back