Who's growing Hops this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of growing some this year. Aren't you supposed to dry the cones out after harvesting? Any tips or info on doing that?

jdoiv said:
I'm thinking of growing some this year. Aren't you supposed to dry the cones out after harvesting? Any tips or info on doing that?

Yeah you are. From another source...

"After you harvest the hops you can dry them in several differnt ways. On window screens (takes about 4-7 days depending humidity), food dehyrator (1-2 days) or a paper bag (need to turn over frequntly). I use window screens and the dehydrator (set at about 80 - 100 F). During heavy harvest periods I have to use both methods and sometimes all three. Commercial hop dryers dry hops at about 140 F, but I like to use a lower temp to preserve freshness"

Anyone successfully growing hops in the PA climate? My brother and my dad both offered up some growing space this year and I would love to give it a shot.

fermenator said:
Anyone successfully growing hops in the PA climate? My brother and my dad both offered up some growing space this year and I would love to give it a shot.

I know someone who grows hops outside Pittsburgh...

I am gonna give it a try this year for the first time. I cant do it in my townhouse but I will plant them at my parents which isn't very far.
They have about 6 acres to plant on. Hopefully in a few years I can have one nice harvest comming along

since i just uploaded the pic...

hops.jpg

...this only made about 4 batches :( hopefully this year will be a MUCH better yield :)

I planted Cascade and Mt Hood last year and got a small yield - maybe 3 ounces total. This year, I am going to plant as many as possible. Back in September, Oregon State Ag department took names of people in Oregon (sorry for everyone else) for rhizomes to be sent to them for free. I put my name in for about 20 different varieties. We will see if I actually get any in Feb/Mar, and which ones. Even if I don't, I'll get what I can locally and plant.

Back