Wine making vs homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehollx

Reaction score
I'm interested in making some wine (grape wine, not fruit wine), so I poked around at some winemaking tutorials. A lot of the tutorials are very basic and don't go into many details.

Is this because most of the complexities of good winemaking seed from what you do before you pick the grape?

Does anyone have any recommendations for reading for a homebrewer that would like to make wine and is interested in the complexities of it? Is there a wine maker's version of 'How to Brew?'

Well, it's not just the grape itself, although that is part of it. Usually anyone that has a decent press has the equipment and know-how for pH adjustment and other things so it's not usually in a "how to" format.

For general winemaking, I like Jack Keller's website (jackkeller.net), although his site is hard to navigate at first. Once you are familiar with it, it becomes much easier!

A quote I have heard from two of the oldest names in wine. "If making great wine is the alphabet, Steps A through R are done in the vineyard."

Wine Science: Principles, Practice, Perception, By Ron S. Jackson. It's kind of like a textbook, but has most everything you could ever want to know from the vineyard to your final wine. Less info on how to do it at home, but if you were to read this book you would have no problem making wine at home.

Back