Question for Sanyo Owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
As you may have guessed from all my recent questions, I am getting ready to convert my Sanyo 4912 to a kegerator and start kegging. My question is, what size CO2 cannister can I fit inside the fridge with 2 cornies?

I'm planning to head over to my LHBS tomorrow to discuss a 2 keg set-up and I want to make sure I get a tank that can fit inside (I know it's not necessary, but I would prefer it). Any help is appreciated as always.

Supposedly 5# will last 8-10 kegs, if you have no leaks. I would bet it would last for more kegs if you don't force carb, minimize purging, clean your lines out via a kit rather than putting cleaner into a keg and pushing it through the system, etc.
The CO2 is least of your worries/hassles/expenses -- although I did get rooked for 20 bucks for a refill -- but was ok with that due to convenience (paintball place, open evenings, refilled it while I watched/waited). I'm about as new to the homemade 4912 as HB_99 is, but having been through the conversion recently, happy to answer anything I can. Good luck!

I fit a 10lber in with my 2 cornies. If you are doing the "shelf mod" and using the existing "lip" in the fridge you can get it in there. The thing is there is a "tall skinny" 10 lb. tank and a "short fat" 10 lb. thank. The shorter one fits, the taller one is too tall.

Matt

homebrewer_99 said:
OUCH, Lou! I paid $7.65 (tax included) for a refill.

I go to my local Fire Extiguisher supplier, and if I drop off my two tanks, and pick them up later, it costs me 10 bucks. If he fills them while I wait, its 15 bucks.

my lhbs charges $25 for an exchange, ouch! im waiting for all my equipment to be shipped, so i havent "kegged" yet. hope to pull my first draft on the 4th of july, since i still need to brew

Zombie thread! - back from the dead

Check out the local fire extinguisher places, they will often times fill Co2 tanks. Or look up AirGas in your area. I have a local fire extinguisher place that does fills for 5# for $10 and an AirGas place that exchanges for $18 (which I did with my waaay out of date tank).

I am looking for a 20# tank though to save time and money as I'm getting into soda stuff as well.

5# tank fits perfectly behind 2 kegs and lasts me 8 or so brews including time at 30+ psi force carbing.

Zombie thread! - back from the dead

Check out the local fire extinguisher places, they will often times fill Co2 tanks.

Not only that, but the one in my area also converts old fire extinguishers that have bad valves into co2 tanks. Sells them for $30.

Back