Motorizing a Malt Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I’m having a lot of trouble motorizing my bare-bones Malt Mill.

Please see the attached picture for my application. I have a 1.5” hole centered over the rollers with a 5 gallon plastic water jug attached.
I have tried with a 8” pulley (in the picture) which runs from 240 (3L belt) – 297 (4L belt) rpm AND I have tried a 12” pulley which runs from 157 (3L belt) – 197 (4L belt) rpm. No difference with either.
The motor is 1/3hp, 1725 rpm, 6a. I have not changed the default roller setting and it works fine with a hand crank.

I start the motor and as soon as I add grain the rollers immediately bind and stop. Maybe the motor doesn’t have enough torque?? The full Malt Mill comes with a small bin that has a 3/4" x 1.5" slot in the bottom and a hand crank. Maybe I need to build a bin like the one that comes with the Malt Mill with a 3/4” x 1/5” slot at the bottom and attaching our bottle to a board on top of that, but I see lots of videos doing the way I am trying to do, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

David

IMG_0200-2.jpg

What exactly is it doing? Is it binding up so that the motor is seizing or is the drive roller still turning but you have a failure to feed?

I had a similar setup with my malt mill for several years. I had to have the motor running first and restrict hole from the hopper feeding the grain to keep things moving. I have since changed to a Harbor Freight drill with much more torque.

Latest posts

Back