Thoughts on WLP009 "Australian Ale"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudzAndSudz

Reaction score
So I've been trying to find a nice yeast for my Imperial Pumpkin Ale, but this thread isn't really about that....

I found a vial of WLP009 buried and lost in the back of the fridge at my LHBS. Since it's the March seasonal yeast and fully expired they gave it to me for free. My starter for it has just taken OFF, so it's fully viable and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. The description on White Labs' website says "bready" and malty, which sounds absolutely nothing like Cooper's Ale, which is of course the classic commercial style that people associate with Australian ale.

Has anyone used this and care to share some thoughts? Bready and malty sounds perfect for my pumpkin ale, but I'd like to hear some first-hand thoughts before I go just diving all the way into this beast.

I have used it before for relatively clean ales. Fermented at higher temperatures it leaves some fruitiness but yeah it does leave a nice bit of a malt background. I have only used it like twice and I also have a vial waiting to make an imperial red.

I think its cleaner then most english strains. Plus I don't get that nutty maltiness you get from many english strains. More of a bready maltiness as described. Although I guess you could compare it to WLP007 just not quite as dry.

I've used this yeast a handful of times and it is basically a neutral flavored, English type yeast. It does have a rather bready-malty flavor/aroma and can get a bit fruity at warmer temps. When fermented cool, it is very clean. As the other poster mentioned, it is not an overly dry yeast.

It makes a pretty spot on Sparkling Ale clone. Should be fine for a pumpkin, but if you want more yeast richness, there are better strains. It makes a very nice American wheat.

Well it's an imperial pumpkin ale with an OG of nearly 1.090, so the richness is implied. I think a super malty English strain would leave my beer around 1.030 FG and it would be far too cloying. Conversely I think an FG of 1.010 from a super dry yeast might be a bit much as well. Not really set in stone on that, those are just thoughts...

What would be your ultimate recommendation for a pumpkin ale like that? I used WLP013 last year and it was fantastic, but I wasn't super happy about the complete lack of flocculation.

Just throwing it out there, but WLP029 immediately comes to mind when I'm looking for something that plays nice with malt and cleans up nicely. It's ideal for German alts/kolsch, but I've used it several times in beers that don't fit those styles and it worked out splendidly. Gonna have to make a BIG starter for anything over 1.070 though. I personally prefer this over traditional english yeasts...but I'm a little weird so there's that.

That has basically similar flocculation properties as WLP013..... It's a fantastic yeast when I used it for Kolsch, but it's the same issue.

I was also thinking WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale or WLP085 English Ale Blend would be pretty good in this.

Coopers use their house yeast for their full range of beers. This includes their Strong Vintage Ale @ 7.5%. So it should handle an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Fermentation temperature should reflect the amount of fruitiness you desire.

Hahaha you guys are making me second guess this.

"Should be fine for a pumpkin," "it should handle an Imperial Pumpkin Ale"..... I was hoping to hear "Hot damn, that's gonna be the hidden secret of the best pumpkin beer of all time!" Not really looking to just "handle" it, I'm trying to make a GREAT beer....

It's going to make a great beer!!!

Specific recipe, mashing regime and fermentation temperatures would help. Ambiguous descriptions such as Imperial Pumpkin Ale elicit the collection of response that you have obtained.

:)

It's going to make a great beer!!!

Specific recipe, mashing regime and fermentation temperatures would help. Ambiguous descriptions such as Imperial Pumpkin Ale elicit the collection of response that you have obtained.

:)

Right. Good call, ha!

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: California Common Beer
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 16 gallons
Boil Size: 18 gallons
Efficiency: 85%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.091
Final Gravity: 1.025
ABV (standard): 8.66%
IBU (tinseth): 34.83
SRM (morey): 9.96

FERMENTABLES:
38 lb - Pale 2-Row (81.3%)
5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 20L (10.7%)
3.75 lb - Biscuit (8%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Magnum (AA 13.1) for 60 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil
1.5 oz - Sterling (AA 6) for 10 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 154 F, Time: 90 min

YEAST:
White Labs - Australian Ale Yeast WLP009
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 72.5%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temperature: 65 F - 70 F

NOTES:
@ 5 minutes, add 1/2 heaping teaspoon of each;

- nutmeg
- cloves
- allspice
- ginger
- cinnamon

At bottling, 4oz of real vanilla extract, and 1.25 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.

I think with this recipe that the "bready" characteristic will be quite subtle. You may like to consider using some brown sugar as well (2lbs). Spices look fine, if not a little on the conservative side, which is good as you can up before bottling. But I would make a starter for this beer given the high OG.

Overall, you will make a great beer. :mug:

:pipe:

Right at the very bottom there it says "At bottling, 4oz of real vanilla extract, and 1.25 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice." And you're absolutely right, that's definitely the key to this beer!

Thanks!

Yeah, I saw the bottling spices Budz. I was just confirming/highlighting that your plan in this regards was sound.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Back