NEMA locking plug question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorglath

Reaction score
So I stopped by a garage sale and it had a locking 3 wire plug along with roughly 10 feet of 10 gauge 3 conductor wire. They were reasonably priced and I thought they would work perfect for hooking up to the heating element in my brewing system I am planning.

Question:
After looking closer, it seems these devices are rated for 125V @30A, and have a slightly different orientation of the locking pin.

Link on Amazon to what I bought: link

Link on Amazon to the 3 prong 30A 240V plug: link

is there honestly anything different internally that would make the 125V not capable to carry 125V on two separate wires thus making 250V? The wire itself is insulated and no big deal there. Just wanted to see if I shouldn't worry or if there is something I am missing

Last edited by a moderator:
is there honestly anything different internally that would make the 125V not capable to carry 125V on two separate wires thus making 250V? The wire itself is insulated and no big deal there. Just wanted to see if I shouldn't worry or if there is something I am missing

NO. They configure these devices so that when you have a ton of receptacles or cord caps on a job or any location, you cant plug a 125A device in a 240v device or visa versa causing a potential hazard.

but if the other end is connected to a brew kettle and the only mating connector within a city block is my brew panel for the heating element, is that really a big deal?

Its your call if you know that you're the only one using this connection and don't see any mixup then... If it was me I would take a white piece of phase tape wrap it around the cord caps and write "240v" on them or I would just get different cord caps in all but thats the Master Electrician in me.

Cheers:mug:

Thanks for the input Sublimis! Your reason about many cords being at a job site does make sense that they would distinguish plugs via physical ability to plug them in.

Back