Blue CUBE mashtun question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyseany

Reaction score
trying to get my mashtun built for my first AG batch. I'm using a blue igloo cube cooler. I have it all set up and ready to go but have a couple of question...

#1 I want to use the stainless mesh hose as my filter... If I come down and go straight out across bottom my hose will be like 5 inches...

or should I put a T on the end of my CVPVC and do 2 6" pieces going out on the sides?

#2... I cheaped out on the valve and got the kind you turn... Like shutting off the hose... Will this work ok? When testing for leaks I opened it up all the way and it sure wasn't a full 1/2" stream coming out...

thanks,

sean

#1 - not sure but your idea sounds ok

#2 - you don't want a full hard stream from your MT in case you get channeling of the beer. Slower is better in my limited experience.

B

#1 A picture would help here. It sounds like you have a CPVC nipple on the inside of your MT, that you are connecting the braid to. Is that correct? I think a single length of braid is sufficient, but knock yourself out if you want a double-T setup.

#2 I assume you are batch sparging since you are using a braid setup. In this case, I disagree with birvine...you don't have to worry about channeling with batch sparging and you should open that sucker up all the way up.

Not sure what you mean by 1/2" of stream....

I agree with broadbill. I used the braid for a while ,worked fine, but did eventually collapse and is difficult to tell if it is clean. I switched to a CPVC manifold and is working really well, would recommend that as a solution.

As for the valve, whatever drains it fast and holds a seal if you are batch sparging will work fine.

#1 yes I meant my tube comes down & hits a T then have a 6" screen on each side of T

#2... The valve seals great. But when I open it up it's not a 1/2" diameter streme of water coming out. I think the way the valve works is when you twist the "knob" it raises and lowers a "stopper" and the way the pipe is designed, I think the water can't do a direct pass through and it restricts the flow to probably 3/4 full stream...

will it drain fast enough for batch sparging?

thanks for the help guys!

sean

oh yeah I'll throw one more at ya... Since I've done my last extract brew day I've acquired a 25' X 3/8 immerrsion chiller... When do I add this to the boil kettle? Or would you suggest trying to DIY it into a counterflow chiller?

the immersion chiller should work fine for now. just put it in with 15 minutes left in the boil to sanitize it.

i don't think it's the valve that is restricting the flow rate. i think it's the lack of having a hose or something to draw pressure down from the opening in the valve. i think once you get a length of hose or something connected to a valve, one the wort fills the tube, it will pull on the liquid (i could just be talking out of my ass here) and make it at least seem to be coming out faster. i think you're trying to think of a normal hose spigot in a garage or something, but you've got like 50 PSI behind that spigot and way less with wort flowing out of a mashtun that only has maybe 4 gallons of liquid in it at a time (when batch sparging).

i think whatever you do, it will work fine, but i would recommend getting a decent ball valve for your tun, or find a length of non vinyl hose you can connect to the outlet and see if that helps improve your flow.

is there a reason (oxidation) that I can't let the wort "fall" from mashtun into brew kettle? I always see people with the clear hose added to valve on mashtun...

you might be right about the pressuered hose concept I guess I just figures it'd fill the pipeline...

thanks for the 15 boild time on the chiller too!

sean

Just a friendly suggestion. When you start a thread with a question try to avoid asking a question about some other topic. Start a different thread.. otherwise this could quickly dissolve into two different discussions.

I can keep up!

I just didn't want to post a bunch of questions and figured I got the answer to the first questions... But if you have more helpful info please lmk!

sean

Latest posts

Back