Spring Wheat- Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
Trying to make a good spring wheat. Im going for a hoppier/floral flavor but im not sure how it will taste. Any thoughts?

lbs oz

6 6 Wheat Malt Extract Syrup
0 10 Caramel Wheat Malt
0 9 Rye Malt
0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0 4 Crystal 10L
0 2 Acid Malt

boil 60 mins 1.0 Cascade
boil 30 mins 0.5 Centennial
boil 10 min 1 ounces Coriander Seed
boil 10 min 2 ounces Orange Peel, Bitter

Hefeweizen Ale yeast

8 SRM
~24 IBU
4.4 ABV

Ill take any criticism

Are you trying to get tartness from the acid malt? It is really designed to adjust mash pH. It can add a lactic twang, but you'd need quite a bit more (even 1 lb in 5 gallons didn't get me much). Acid malt and rye malt really need to be mashed since they have starches that need to be converted.

If you want orange aromatics I'd go with fresh zest, much better than the dried stuff. For the coriander go to an Indian market if you can, their coriander is a variety that is much fruitier than the usual stuff. I just used it in a gose with good results.

Thanks for the response. I removed the acid malt and replaced it with a lb of Bavarian wheat DME to add a little more malt to the flavor. I wanted to lower the IBU to keep it more towards a traditional weizen. I will definitely take your advice about the orange and coriander. I should be able to find an Indian market and I might do a mini mash to convert the rye malt. I plan on brewing it soon. Ill let you know how it turns out.

My $.02 would be to switch yeast. Weizen yeast is meant to add the banana and clove notes which, IMHO, will compete with your more aggressive hopping. I would think you would want to use an English ale yeast or Saf-05 maybe.

My $.02 would be to switch yeast. Weizen yeast is meant to add the banana and clove notes which, IMHO, will compete with your more aggressive hopping. I would think you would want to use an English ale yeast or Saf-05 maybe.

I wouldn't call 24 IBUs in the first half of the boil agressive.

I've actually had good luck with 3068 in a beer that had big late aditions and a dry hop of Amarillo/Cascade. Banana and citrus isn't that weird of a combo.

Ok so im brewing this on friday and i lowered my bittering hops some because i bought a bigger pot so i can do full boils now. I wanted to keep the rye even though im not doing a full mash...not sure why. Im not sure how the coriander and orange will taste with the hops.

Latest posts

Back