Naturally carbing with finicky corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
So I have a corny keg that will only seal when I pump it up to about 30 psi to "force seal" it. Ive tried dozens of times to work it, lube it etc. Its a reconditioned from midwest so it was tested. Anyways, if I wanted to naturally carb in this keg, would that be possible? Im assuming that there would be no 30 psi surge to seal it. Would it eventually seal? Whats the deal here?

I've always naturally carbed my kegs but you still have to seal them with CO2. Think of it as one giant beer bottle and using the CO2 to seal as the bottle capper crimp.

cool, that one shot of 30 psi wont overcarb it with the addition of the priming sugar?

I've never had one that was overcarbed. I don't think the little bit of time you have the CO2 on to seal it actually puts much in the beer.

Just thought of something. Are you aware that you only use 1/2 the amount of sugar that you would use for bottling? It has something to do with the beer mass and airspace but I don't remember the science behind it.

Back