When it's safe to switch from blow off to airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Boy am I glad I read about blow off tubes here. I'm pretty sure I would have had an explosion with my hefe given that even my blowoff bucket is overflowing.

Anyway, any good advice about when it's safe to put the airlock on?

Thanks!

When the krausen starts to recede is generally a good time, but you could keep the blow off hose on there for the duration of fermentation if you wanted.

I leave the blowoff on untill bottle/keg time. It serves the same function as the airlock. If you need to goto an airlock, then Parker's answer is dead on,When the krausen starts to recede.

Agreed. The blow off tube does the same thing that the airlock does: release pressure. If there isn't a decent reason for changing it up, (like a space consideration or something), I've come to the conclusion that leaving the blow off tube in place reduces the risk of infection, etc.

I brewed a batch of Double Bastard ale Friday night after work. Pitched 2 vials of White Lab's California ale yeast. When I came home late Saturday night after a metal concert:rockin: and a day of drinking:drunk: the airlock was bubbling like mad. :rockin: At 5:45 am I was awakened by a loud noise, only to find the the airlock had clogged and the lid had blown off the bucket! So there I was cleaning the ceiling and walls at 6:00 AM, with a hang over. I think I'll keep the blow off hose on there for the rest of the fermentation!

Back