Mike's King Midas Mix AKA Prilla's Phrygian Potion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mprilla

Reaction score
References.
http://www.phrygians.com/dinner.html
http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/research/Exp_Rese_Disc/Mediterranean/Midas/intro.shtml
http://gogreece.about.com/cs/fooddrink/a/retsina.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscat_grape

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Year_Round_Beers/Midas_Touch_Golden_Elixir/1/index.htm
http://byo.com/recipe/1011.html
http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/mer...BrewandWine&Product_Code=36955&Category_Code=
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dogfish-head-midas-touch-golden-elixir/7293/24083/

Mike's King Midas Mix AKA Prilla's Phrygian Potion

Size: 6 gallons
Color 5 HCU (~5 SRM)

2 IBU
OG: 1.141
FG: 1.024
Alcohol: 15.1% v/v (11.8% w/w)

7 Gallons Distilled water
4 tsp acid blend and 1/2 tsp Burton water salts.
3 lb. Briess dry pilsen extract
3 lb. Wheat dry malt extract
1 lb Lactose
6 lb. Light Honey (do not boil)
1 96oz. Can of Alexander’s Sun Country Muscat grape concentrate (do not boil)
Grain: 1 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
1 lb. Flaked wheat
1 oz Saaz hops (bittering hop) (3.75% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz Saaz hops (flavor hop) (3.75% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz Saaz hops (aroma hop) (3.75% AA, 5 min.)
0.1 oz or 2 tsp's Saffron (boil 60 minutes)
1 TBS Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Yeast Energizer
1 tsp grape tannin
20 drops of of pectic enzyme
1 tsp Irish Moss
One packet of Plain Gelatine
1 tsp's Polyclar
1 tsp Isinglass
1 tsp Amylase Enzyme
Use either WLP500, (Trappist) or Wyeast 3787 (Trappist)
And Lalvin D-47 white wine and mead yeast
6 oz medium toasted oak chips or cubes
1 tsp Spruce essence
6 oz honey or 6 oz corn sugar to prime

Pour 1.5 gallons of Distilled water into a 5 gallon or larger pot. Add 2 tsp acid blend, 1/4 tsp Burton water salts heat to 148º F.

Then Pour 1.5 Gallons of Distilled water into another pot with 2 tsp Acid blend and 1/4 tsp Burton water salts heat to 168º F.

Put crushed grains into a large muslin bag and tie it then put it in the 148º F pot for 90 minutes Carefully remove the grain bag and sparge it with the 168º F water.

Bring to a boil add 3 lb. Briess dry pilsen extract, 3 lb. Wheat dry malt extract, 1 lb Lactose, 0.1 oz Saffron or 2 tsp and 1 oz of Saaz hops in a hop bag. Boil for 45 minutes then add the 1 tsp Irish moss and 1 oz of Saaz hops in a hop bag. Boil for 10 more minutes then add 1 oz Saaz hops in a hop bag. Total boiling time is 60 minutes

Turn off heat. Remove your pot from your heat source and remove the hop bags. Add the 6 lb. Light Honey and 1 96oz. Can of Alexander’s Sun Country Muscat grape concentrate. Let the mix sit for 20 minutes to pasteurize the honey and gapes.

Cool your wort to 70º F. Strain the mix into your primary Fermenter. Add 1 TBS Yeast Nutrient, 1 tsp Yeast Energizer
1 tsp grape tannin, 20 drops of of pectic enzyme and 1 tsp Amylase Enzyme. Aerate the mix.

Siphon out 2 gallons of this concentrated wort/must into two clean empty distilled water containers and put them in the fridge. Then add water to the remaining wort/must to the 4 gallon mark. Pitch the Trappist ale yeast.
Keep the Fermenter at a temperature of 65-75 º F for the duration of fermentation and aging.

In 3 to 7 days and a day after rapid bubbling has slowed down and the krausen (foamy head) has settled add one gallon of the concentrated wort/must you saved in the fridge.

After another 3 to 7 days and a day after rapid bubbling has slowed down for the second time add the second gallon of concentrated wort/must you saved in the fridge and add the Lalvin D-47 white wine and mead yeast.

3 to 7 days later and after rapid bubbling has slow down significantly siphon the beer into a 6 gallon secondary Fermenter Add 2 to 6 oz of steamed or boiled sanitized medium toasted oak chips or cubes and 1 tsp Spruce essence for 8 weeks aging top off with water to 6 gallons.

One week before bottling time add 1 packet gelatin, 1 tsp Isinglass and 1 tsp Polyclar finings.

Bottle with 6 oz honey or 6 oz corn sugar and let it age for 8 weeks

Janx said:
Wow...that's really something...

Yes but what is it? I mean it's not a beer, wine or mead? I don't know what to call it. Anyway I thought I would share it with you all.

Mprilla said:
Yes but what is it? I mean it's not a beer, wine or mead? I don't know what to call it. Anyway I thought I would share it with you all.
It's the strangest brew i've seen posted ANYWHERE!
An eclectic mix of ingredients for sure....

Caplan said:
It's the strangest brew i've seen posted ANYWHERE!
An eclectic mix of ingredients for sure....

Strange or not they really did drink it 700 BCE in Turkey. And Dogfish does really make a commertial version of it today.

ok thats gotta be the longest recipe ive ever seen...just as an asside i read somewhere that scientist discovered some yeast in a piece of amber that was like 2 million years old (jurassic park?) so they extracted it and 'woke' it up and brewed beer with it...imagine drinking beer that early hominids (too stupid to make beer) like australiopithicus (or whatever) could have drunk...crazy.

cgravier said:
ok thats gotta be the longest recipe ive ever seen...just as an asside i read somewhere that scientist discovered some yeast in a piece of amber that was like 2 million years old (jurassic park?) so they extracted it and 'woke' it up and brewed beer with it...imagine drinking beer that early hominids (too stupid to make beer) like australiopithicus (or whatever) could have drunk...crazy.

CRAZY. Prehistoric ale!

I can see the taglines for it on a bottle...

"Aged to perfection for 150,000,000 years"

Oh.. you said 2 million years old. If it was only 2 million years old, it's not Jurassic, but still cool.

-walker

cgravier said:

It is long for many reasons. Not only its many ingredients and complexity but because I use techniques many home brewers are unaware of. Also since it uses methods and ingredients wine and mead makers use home brewers of beer must be made aware of them. That is a lot of honey and wine in that brew so it can't be treated like a honey beer or fruit beer that only has a little bit of such things. To do so wouldn't guarantee a good fermentation. Enzymes and yeast nutrients and incremental feeding make all the difference and these are things your typical home brewer either doesn't know about or doesn't bother with. To not do so with this recipe isn't a good idea. Sure you can get away with adding a little fruit to beer or a little honey and not go through all the trouble I did. But with this much non malt in the mix I don't think you would want to do that here.

I doubt that early Hominids drank any fermented beverages until you got at the least to Neanderthals, Homo Erectus and Homo Sapians. Most likely only Homo Sapians did so intentionally since there is no evidence that prior hominids to us made any beverages of any kind at all. Prior to Homo Sapians no other hominid had any clay or wooden vessiels to put drinks in in any event. However since grapes and other fruits can and do ferment on their own they must have eaten fermented fruits and grapes all the time. Animals do and Grouse even get drunk on wild Fox grapes once in a while.

i saw a thing on tv about the dogfish beer thier talking about. i think they discovered the ruins of a huge party with all kinds of stonewear everywhere. they were able to tell the different class systems by the size of the 'mugs'...the upper class peeps had like 3 litre mugs while the losers had like pint sized mugs.
pretty interesting stuff, you cant seperate history from beer or wine or mead, whereever there was (are) people you will find some kind of alcohol...humans truly are by nature a bunch of drunks...

cgravier said:
i saw a thing on tv about the dogfish beer thier talking about. i think they discovered the ruins of a huge party with all kinds of stonewear everywhere. they were able to tell the different class systems by the size of the 'mugs'...the upper class peeps had like 3 litre mugs while the losers had like pint sized mugs.
pretty interesting stuff, you cant seperate history from beer or wine or mead, whereever there was (are) people you will find some kind of alcohol...humans truly are by nature a bunch of drunks...

They found the burial mound of King Midas and the the drinking vessels had the remains of the funerial feast. That was analized and from that Dogfish made their brew and so did I. I did post links to sites about it in my post. Oh and by the way people in the past fermented beverages in order to preserve the harvest and have something safe to drink. Drinking water in the past could get you killed and there are many recorded instances of brewers not getting sick when everyone else did because brewers didn't drink the water. And Jesus wasn't turning water into wine just to party drinking water back then was very dangerous. And the Romans didn't give him vinagar when he was on the cross just to be nasty it is what Roman soldiers drank on duty since they couldn't get drunk on duty but couldn't drink the water either. By the way the Pilgrims landed at plymouth rock because they ran out of beer they wanted to go to Virginia were English colonies were already established but never made it. So yes religious groups had to drink back then too or they could get cholora or typhoid or other water born diseases and die. And milk wasn't very safe back then either.

i didnt want to derail this thread but i just got a new comp. and im thread happy. im not buying the argument that romans or any other civilization didnt like to get drunk...secondly theyve known about microbes for a really long time (pastuer was pasteurizing wine to keep it from spoiling) if health concerns were the only reason to drink alcohol why do we still drink it? there has always been something 'magical' about alcohol, and it isnt that it was healthier than water. Humans have always tried to find a way to get high, thats why we have alcohol, nicotien, caffienne, cocaine, opium or whatever.
i think the whole water into wine thing was symbolic, red wine=blood=life.

cgravier said:
i didnt want to derail this thread but i just got a new comp. and im thread happy. im not buying the argument that romans or any other civilization didnt like to get drunk...secondly theyve known about microbes for a really long time (pastuer was pasteurizing wine to keep it from spoiling) if health concerns were the only reason to drink alcohol why do we still drink it? there has always been something 'magical' about alcohol, and it isnt that it was healthier than water. Humans have always tried to find a way to get high, thats why we have alcohol, nicotien, caffienne, cocaine, opium or whatever.
i think the whole water into wine thing was symbolic, red wine=blood=life.

I said Roman soldiers on duty could not get drunk. That hasn't changed for soldiers since time began. And that is why they drank vinigar. And by the way often ancients would drink wine or beer mixed with water to sterlize the water but not get drunk. And small beer was made for women and kids so they didn't get drunk either. You need to brush up on some history and by the way I have a BA in history. And I wouldn't call Pasteurization a very long time. It's only been since the eend of the 19th century that people had a clue what a microbe was and how to kill them. Most of history the safest way to drink things was drink something alcoholic or you could die. And by the way even today most wines are not Pasteurized at all. Read the lables they kill the yeast with sulfieds because they think Pasteurization will change the flavor. Of course sulfieds do that as well. And people are alergic to sulfieds and no one is alergic to pasteurization but never mind that. Milk however has benifited greatly by pasteurization.

Latest posts

Back