hi from Montreal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakobrau

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys&gals

I'm a pretty avid beer but only recently decided to take the big plunge into homebrewing. I'm totally absorbed by it and having lots of fun... I've read hottobrew.com twice from end to end even while my first batch is still in primary :)

Anyone from Montreal that can recommend some good brewing hobby shops?

I'll save my other questions for the newb forum :)

Hey there buddy!!!

I'm from you south shore! :) Longueuil on the beach!!! I've been brewing for about 6 months. I've got some good shops to recommand. I first started brewing with "La cachette du bootlegger" own extract kits. They are situated in baie-D'Urfée west of Montréal.

Now, I'm going for the "next" step. So I'm brewing with extract and speciality grains. I now buy my stuff at "La chope à barrock" on St-Dominique street in Mtl.

If you have any questions or if you want to discuss a lil in french, don't hesitate. Write here or PM me!

Cheers!

J-F

Merci pour les recommendations! Cachette is indeed where I got my starter kit.

Later, a friend mentioned another LHBS in the Blue Haven mall on St-Jean's (just north of Fairview). From the outside it seems quite big and well stocked, I'll go check it this weekend. Hopefully they have an assortment of soaps and sanitizers on hand...

Speaking of Cachette, which flavor of superbatch is your favorite? I picked up the Bavarian Lager. So far it smells good (although I'm brewing it more like an Ale I think...)

I prefer Bootleggers to Chope a Barrock, the prices are usually much more fair. Check out montrealers.ca for other brewers in montreal.

If you are ever looking to travel to get a really good deal (and would like to take advantage of the weak U.S. dollar) check out Ingraham Brew Supply in West Chazy [I know, I know... IBS- sounds like a bowel disorder].

They are only open on the weekends Sat & Sun and bring cash because they don't take credit cards or freaking Interac (used to work as a clerk and everyone always wants to know if you take Interac).

It may feel like you're walking into a living room (because you kind of are) but anyway just holler and make yourself known so they'll come help you. Might also want to call before to make sure they're open. They are in the middle of nowhere but stock just about everything you'd need. If you're starting out brewing they have a nice selection of bulk malt extracts so bring your own containers.

Interesting suggestions. Next time I'm out that way I'll probably check them out!

Where do my fellow Montrealers get their empties from? I've read that twist offs aren't ideal....

Cachette has some nice 650ml bottles, but they're 10$ for 12! I want to have enough for at least 2 complete batches - that's 60$! :eek:

I could try collecting the odd 6 packs of heineken and corona here and there from friends but I'd rather they be all the same for esthetic reasons..

For empties, try to find a "dépanneur" that sells micro-brew products and ask them if you can buy empty bottles. That's how I did it. It's a PITA to get the labels off and all but, it's worth it. You can also ask if they have empty grolsch bottles. Those are really sweet for us home-brewers... No capping to do!

The dépanneur I go to always have a good stock of empties, and they only charge the deposit fees. Like 20 cents on 500ml brown bottles!

check that out!

hmm begging at the dep... not a bad idea. I'd probably try it at a smaller one, the 17 year olds that typically work at Couche Tard would probably be confused about whether they're allowed to sell empties.

- You see... I'm making this beer, so I need the bottles...
- uhm, what?

:)

Is 10$ for 12x 650ml abnormally expensive or is that just what they typically go for in LHBS ? It seems like a lot to me, even their plastic bottles are about the same price...

Hey,

I got all my bottles from a Dep. He sold them to me for the price of deposit. So now I have a nice mix of small and big Heinekin/Stella bottles.

As for the LHBS's. I really like the people at Bootleger's, however, I did have problems with their grain crushing being questionable. They do keep their prices reasonable though.

Cachette is more expensive, but he does keep more specialty grains on hand than booties. He is very nice as well. I am going to be trying some base malt from his store. It is local (Frontenac is the company), and I have heard raving reviews about these malts.

Whichever of these stores that you shop at, they do seem to be nice and willing to help. At least when I have been there.

As for myself, I don't really like the heineken or stella bottles. Try going to some speciality DEP where they sell this kind of bottles:

rubon6.jpg

I always use those or the long neck german type bottles:

schneiderweisse.jpg

there you go!!!

I do have a few of those Barberie bottles, but I had to empty them myself!!! They are great bottles though. I really like some of the belgain bottles too.

Back