Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Used this yeast at 1.5L starter on a stir plate for Waldo Lake Amber (~1.060).

Am curious about anyone elses observations on the activity of this yeast. Obvious fermentation activity in the morning from a early evening pitch, but overall looks like a relatively modest level of activity...it's still chugging away but never seemed to get real agressive (not a ton of krausen, no blow off concern, etc.).

Does that parallel other observations?

Yep sounds right especially if you are fermenting a bit on the cool side (64-66 degrees).

One thing I noticed about 1450 is that it's a really slow floccer. I had a tough time getting a clear beer even with a long cold crash.

Yep sounds right especially if you are fermenting a bit on the cool side (64-66 degrees).

One thing I noticed about 1450 is that it's a really slow floccer. I had a tough time getting a clear beer even with a long cold crash.

I also just used Dennys for his Waldo Lake. Super cloudy even after 20 days until I cold crashed and added gelatin for three days. Went into the bottles pretty clear. But if I ever had a beer that could benefit from a cold crash and finings, this was the one.

That's good to know about the clarity. I'll plan on a good, solid cold crash.

My favorite yeast for my brown ale. It tends to be slow in first generation. Does not floc well for sure. I like to build my yeast up and pitch my brown yeast into my Kate The Great. Like this yeast in my porter too.

Just brewed an imperial stout @ 1.096 OG (mashed at 156)

It finished @ 1.027 = ~70% attenuation ---> 9.3% ABV

(2 weeks in primary)

Sound normal for this yeast?

It tastes great out of the carboy

Just a little bit low for that strain, but it depends upon how much you pitched. Did you make a starter? What size was the batch?

10 gallon batch with plenty of yeast

Made a 5L starter on a stir plate with two packs of yeast. Plenty of pure O2 before pitch too

I used a decent amount of DME to boost gravity from 1.070 to 1.096

Thinking its the DME

Just a little bit low for that strain, but it depends upon how much you pitched. Did you make a starter? What size was the batch?

Do you think there is a risk of bottle bombs?

I'm planning to carb at 2 volumes of co2 in the keg and eventually bottle some of it off

I'd like to set a few of the bottles aside for extended aging

If you are bottling from the keg, I don't see any issue as long as you allow it to sit for a while during carbonation.

Back