Cheap pot for full 5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend?

Is there truth to not using aluminum for brewing beer?

Looking for an affordable solution, I'm sure there has to be a steal somewhere on the internet!

P.s. I'm still doing all my boils on the stove. Have a sanke I'm going to convert someday for outside brews.

Thanks!

For 5 gallon extract with grain stove top recipes you can find a 5 gallon SS pot at Dollar general for about 10 bucks.

Many of us who do all grain use turkey fryers use the 7.5 gallon aluminum kettle it comes with....I use one of each, since I do both stove top and outdoor brewing.\

The aluminum debate is one of the earliest brewing legends/myths around...actually the whole aluminun thing has been pretty much shot down.....in fact we have a sticky at the top of this very forum you may not have noticed that answer's that very myth.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

If you have the sanke already, why don't you convert it now and use the money you save on the pot for a burner and move it outside now?

Do that and you are <$50 from all grain...

IF you like spending money twice, though...check around the 'value' sporting goods stores for a turkey fryer pot. I got mine (30 qt) from Academy sports for $20.

MMW, I already have the burner. I'm just not prepared for AG in the sense of it taking the amount of time, and having to do it outdoors. ( Especially with the cold weather coming )

Great link Revvy, I REALLY should have checked the stickies first.

How big of a pot do you need for full boil? I'm gathering my equipment for all grain (just ordered my burner), but the pot is my biggest concern. Aren't you running a major risk of boil over with 7.5 gallon?

I was thinking 10 gallon, but is that overkill?

I've also read that you need to season an aluminum pot. Is that true? What happens if you don't?

AAAUUUGGGHHH! I need to do some more research!

How big of a pot do you need for full boil? I'm gathering my equipment for all grain (just ordered my burner), but the pot is my biggest concern. Aren't you running a major risk of boil over with 7.5 gallon?

Not if you use this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/six-little-drops-made-such-improvement-my-brew-day-134616/

Using that stuff I've never had a boil over (either using a 5 gallon stopvetop kettle or my turkey fryer, and I've had wort up to about 3/4 of an inch from the top of the 5 galllon, a rolling boil, and still gone and taken a nap between hop additions)...It really depends on boiloff rates and how much of a pre-boil volume you are using....Most of my beers are around 6.5 gallons boiled down to 5 gallons in 90 minutes (approx). A 7.5 gallon turkey fryer kettle has done the job for me for close to two years. I am looking at going bigger, BUT like I said for starting out the 7.5 gallon turkey fryer/burner has suited me fine for a couple hundred gallons of beer.

The rest of your questions about seasoning and such have been discussed a lot on here...some are even answered in the faq listed above, so I'm not gonna rehash whats already available for your digging. But you really won't have any problem finding the info.

:mug:

I've also read that you need to season an aluminum pot. Is that true? What happens if you don't?

depends on the batch size. Get the biggest pot you can afford because if you start doing 10 gallon batches you will need a bigger pot. I started with a 30 qt turkey fryer moved up to a keggle for 10 gallons and now its sitting in my garage. I now have a have a 30 gallon pot .

I just boiled water in the aluminum for 30 minutes that gives you the oxide layer. And just clean with a sponge and some dish soap no abrasives

Figure how big you need based on your boiloff rate. That is, how much liquid will you start with? For 60 minute boils, I start with about 7 gallons to get to 5.5 (5 gallons eventually go into bottles), more if the boil is longer. Give yourself at least a few gallons cushion, the more the better, and use Fermcap.

How are you able to do full boils on your stove? Mine would take days to boil that much.

10 gallon is not overkill. I started with a 9 gallon pot and I have to either sit on the regulator or use Fermcap every time or it WILL boil over. For larger volumes, I picked up a 15-gallon. Aluminum is probably fine once oxidized, but I prefer worry-free steel. Check out Bayou Classic stock pots. They're decent steel for a good price.

Here's an inexpensive 32qt pot similar to the one I had.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/winco/alst-32/p362984.aspx

I'll be getting the 60 qt version in the next few months.

Winco makes a 32qt, 40qt, 60qt, upto a 125qt pots. As everyone has said it really depends on what you need. I survived 7.5 gallon boils for 6 years give or take with an 8 gallon pot never having a boil over and never using the anti-foam. Just luck and patients I guess!

That being said, I've recently hit reset on all my equipment (sold almost everything and I'm rebuilding my set up) as it was becoming a mishmash of gear. If you think that you'll ever be doing 10 gallon batch I would recommend the 60qt pot at minimum.

Here's the best price I could find....don't know anything about this company so let the buyer be ware....

http://www.kitchengadgetry.com/kitc...pot-quart-without-cover-p-32314.html?sc=gbase

Is there a brick and mortar business a good 8 or 10 gallon aluminum pot could be had for cheap? Calling around to the local kitchen supply houses, they are charging $70 for aluminum. Which imo is too high.

The foodservicewarehouse and kitchengadgetry websites seem to have horrible review with delivery time from the BBB. So I'll stay away from them.

I get 8 gallon tamale steamers or lobster/crab boil pots from my local Kmart for ~$20.

8 gallons, and I don't boil over unless I'm absolutely positively boiling it as hard as I can while not paying attention. I firmly believe that you can boil over nearly any sized pot if you hit it with enough lit propane :D Heck, I've nearly put a 3 gallon boil over the top of my 8 gallon pot.

I'd say 2 gallons of headspace is plenty for a good rolling boil to happen. Any more is just a couple of seconds of extra oh-crap! margin before the boil-over occurs.

Certainly looks good at that price! I may have just found my brewpot! :rockin:

Thanks

I was looking at the 80qt for MLT. I have a 60qt that I use for the HLT and the 120qt is for the boil. I want to retire the keggles and go to 20 gallon. 10 gallons isn't cutting anymore it just seems to vanish and brewing every weekend is not possible at this time

My wife has a business account, so I signed on as her. I just looked at their website, and it certainly looks like you need an account to order.

So, I know it's a month later, but I just pulled the trigger too on the 40qt pot from Sam's. :) $50 shipped with the lid.

can someone please measure the dimensions on this? I want to use it on my stove with a heatstick but need to make sure everything will fit. Thanks in adavance!

CoalCracker, I measured my 10 gallon pot from Sam's Club. It's 14.5 inches tall by 14.5 inches diameter.

WildWest, I did my first brew in it last weekend. Loved it! :ban::ban:

Latest posts

Back