Is that a funnel cake in my carboy!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkobos

Reaction score
This past weekend I racked my GreenFlash IPA into my carboy to clear and to dry hop after 3 weeks in the primary. It now has a couple ounces of hops in there, but even stranger is the bizarre creature growing up from the bottom. I've never seen anything like this. It has parts at least 4 inches tall like little stalagmites. There was quite a bit of trub left in the primary and the beer was pretty clear going in, but this sucker is weird. I even forgot to use Irish moss this time, so I can't blame that for this beast. I can only guess it is more coagulated protein....anyone else have thoughts or have seen something like it before?

DSC_0008s.jpg

hard to tell from the pic, but I've had proteins look pretty funky in the carboy. if it was anything to worry about, it'd be floating on top.:mug:

Yeast are known to clump into massive colonies on occation. I've seen yeast clumps twice that size before!

Back