What did I brew???SurpRYEse!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a lot of balls for only having brewed 5 batches of beer. I can't seem to stick with a recipe and have been dangerously tweaking the beers I have made recently. The trouble is that they're really, really good and have been well received.
So tell me what to call this last beer...

White Labs British + Wyeast British 1098 (W.L. failed to thrive)
7lbs Amber LME, .5lb light DME
1lb crystal 60
.5 lb Special Roast barley
.75 lb Rye flakes (untoasted)
1 lb Brown Sugar (common)
Hops1-1oz Magnum, 1oz cluster
Hops2-1oz Willamette, 1oz Citra
Hopps3-1 oz Cascade
OG-1.054
TG-1.016

Slight spicy nose with some musky fruit and serious dry funk. Diner black coffee forward flavor with a bit of a malt/hop back. Somewhat roasty but very ale-like. Very clean for being so complex. Nice fine bubbles but little head.

Now that's all mostly bull-s@#t that we came up with from the tasting notes BUT...it is important in helping all of you help me identify what to classify this beer as. We were thinking Cascadian Rye but the coffee-ness doesn't fit.

Any help is appreciated and I will stop being such a beerdouch now. I humbly await your wisdom and crackpot theories.

DIB

Back