brewing all grain in a studio apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadbikerjosh

Reaction score
hey everyone!
ok so ive been brewing for about a year now and i want to step it up from partial mash brewing (grain bag) to no extract "All grain" brewing. the problem is i live in a small studio apartment. i brew on the stove, witch is gas, and i have no space outdoors to set up propaine burners. so ive been trying to come up with some creative ideas to mash without using a mashtun. my goal really is to strike, mash, sparge, and eficiantly remove grain without transfering the wort to another vessel. maybe there is something on the market already that i dont know about? open to all ideas!

BIAB. Just look it up. There are so many variations to BIAB that you can do to make it work. I did it for my first few all grains.

I live in a studio and brew all grain 3 gallon batches on the stove. Made an MT out of a 5 gallon cooler from Wal Mart.

I also have 3 kegs... which just sit by my bed ;) You can do it, you just have to be willing to have a corner full of brewing s*&^ all the time. Also, buy a little dresser or something that you can gut out to put your carboys in.

haha yea ive got a couple kegs in the kegorator next to my bed. the girlfriend doesent seem to be thrilled about it tho. i do have some decent sized cabnets in the kitchen close to the ground where i can keep all my crap tho.

I converted a 20liter (~4.3gallon) SS pot into a mashtun. Drilled a hole in the side, added a spigot and false bottom to it. So I mash on the stovetop, sparge into my 20liter SS boil kettle and then continue my boil on the stovetop. Quite easy and painless. Pots stack inside one another and all other equipment fits inside the top pot, so takes up very little space in my apartment.

Yeah, I've been doing partial mashes via BIAB and it's great! I want to get a bigger pot before I do it all-grain but BIAB is definitely the way to go!

Latest posts

Back