Shanks for Full Size Refrigerators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I'm converting a full size Refridgerator into a second Kegerator -- Putting 3 Taps, Maybe 4 on this sucker. How deep do the shanks usually have to be for something like this? It's looking like 5 inches or so.

Any suggestions on what to do with the molding on the inside of the front door?

I built a Keezer that works great -- but that was much easier to figure out the shank depth seeing as how my collar was a 2x6 piece of wood.

Depends on the refrigerator you are using and the area you mount them in. The old kegerator I built (RIP) would have worked with a 1.5" shank, I happened to have 3" ones. That door became very floppy after removing the inside plastic molding and you can replace that with a sheet of plastic, vinyl flooring, plastic cover from old overhead 2'x4' florescent lighting, rigid foam board insulation would work well. After you take off the inside molding I think you will find that the shank length you need will be shorter.

I have seen some people just cut a hole in the plastic molding where the shanks are going to go... that would help it maintain stability, as well as keep some of the storage space on the door.

I just went with the largest ones when I was building my kegerator from an antique fridge, so yeah 5". The benefit of having long ones is, if you feel you need to, you can put a piece of wood on the back to help brace them.

If its a full size fridge you dont really have to worry about NOT having enough space on the inside, so go for it; bigger is better!

As far as the moulding goes, I just drilled through it

I cut through the molding with a razor knife. It is just formed plastic. I think the shanks are 5inch, could have been shorter, but they do not get in the way.

inside_keg_fridge.jpg

Latest posts

Back