Good source for "fancy" plateware?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I've been looking to elevate my cooking a little bit, and one thing I love are the plates professionals use for presentation. I would love to start building up a "library" of fancy, yet simple plates like you see on cooking shows like Masterchef or Hell's Kitchen. I'm thinking of like, square plates, rectangular plates, the ones that are like a cross between a plate and a bowl (a bowl with a really broad edge, or a plate with a deep bowl in the center).

I've been looking around online, and all the ones I find either have graphics printed on them, or some kind of pattern molded into them - I'm looking for just plain, clean, white plates, at affordable prices. I just want to buy 2 - 4 of each of some of these fancy plates. It doesn't have to be a high-end name, and I don't want the weird patterns or etchings.

What's a good source to find such plateware?

Wow, those definitely look like what I'm looking for, and the selection is great, but it seems they only sell by the case? I don't need $250 worth of rectangular plates, I'm just looking for 2 or maybe 4. :)

Target has square plates/bowls... pretty cheap and look nice. I break those out when I get my iron chef on.

Search for Denby. It's awesome stuff - super resilient, dishwasher, oven, and microwave safe, and good looking stuff. SWMBO and the MIL really know about this stuff, and swear by the Denby.

And for presentation? Check out Wilton-Armetale. It's cool looking metal stuff that you can cook in and go right to the table. (Absolutely NOT dishwasher safe, however.) Nambe also has some really cool platters, especially the Copper Canyon series.

One more post and I'll shut up:

Do you have a restaurant supply company in town? They're certain to have the cool stuff you see in restaurants and cheap too. If not, check out www.boeltersuperstore.com. It's a Milwaukee restaurant supplier and they make their catalog available to the public.

Wow, thanks for all the leads, guys. We do have a kitchen-supply shop in town, and I've shopped there before (Hendrix in Ottawa, they've got great stuff). I've even bought my 6 oz beer sampling glasses there. The problem is that their target market is local restaurants, so you have to buy in bulk. When I bought my beer sampling glasses, I had to buy a case of 32 of them.

I guess I'd hoped that with the increasing popularity of elevating food and cooking, that the market would have shifted more to accommodate people looking for gourmet food presentation options. Specifically, the simple (plain white, no pattern/etching), yet elegant (gently curving square/rectangular plates, tall, sweeping, asymmetrical soup bowls, etc.) plateware.

Back