Good wheat beer recipe using 2lbs wheat dme + 2row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 1 kg (2.2lb) bag of wheat dme sitting around and thought I'd try an american wheat recipe using this plus 2row and specialty grain. Since I only have the 1 bag of wheat dme, I figured maybe brewing a 3 US gal batch. Wondering what others think about this recipe I cobbled together:

3 US gal Partial mash, approx 5.5% abv, 28 ibu

2.2lb 2 row
0.25lb crystal 60 (may reduce to 0.125)
0.25lb carapils
2.2lb wheat dme (late addition)
0.5oz willamette @ 60
0.5oz cascade @ 15
US-05 yeast

I'd like to use what I have on hand rather than buying more wheat dme, hence the 2 row and 3 gal batch size. I do also have vienna and crystal 10 I can use. All feedback and ideas appreciated!

Looks good to me, although I wouldn't have thought to use the C-60 in this. I tend to use just 2-row and wheat in my American wheat beers, but if I was going to use a character malt I'd probably go with either the vienna or c-10.

Makes sense, i'll switch the c10 for a little vienna. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Home Brew mobile app

I ended up brewing the above recipe, though switched the US-05 yeast for Safbrew WB-06. The LHBS had it and I figured why not since I'm experimenting anyway. Has anyone else tried this in an american wheat beer... good or bad?

I did the first taste test today after 2 weeks bottle conditioning, and thought I'd report back. I'm really glad I experimented with the WB-06 yeast, and loved the aroma it gave reminiscent of a german hefe. I fermented at 68 F, and it gave me the right combination of banana and cloves. It wouldn't be confused with a Edelweiss, but great results all the same. As expected, the beer is cloudy even slighly chilled, and looks great in the glass... The chill haze is working as an advantage for me here. The willamette-cascade hop combo works nicely, though at 26 to 28 IBU, I found it a bit high. I'll reduce the willamette bittering next time to achieve 21 IBU total. Also, I ended up including a combination of vienna and c15 malt. The beer tasted great, thougn I'm unsure what these contributed towards the whole, so I may eliminate one or the other next time. Anyway, here's the recipe as I brewed it: *

48.2% 2 Row
7.1% Vienna
5.4% Carapils
3.6% C15
35.7% Wheat DME
Willamette @ 60 to 16 IBU
Cascade @ 15 to 10 IBU
Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast

Another quick update on the wheat beer... at 3 + weeks its tasting great. I'm definately adding a wheat into circulation, and will brew another in a few weeks so it'll be ready for summer. After doing a bit of research I think I'll try brewing a bit closer to the german weissbier style. I'm going to go with wheat dme, 2 row, and a small amount c60 plus about 5% unmalted wheat. I'll keep the willamette-cascade blend (works nicdly) though reduce go 15 IBU. I'll try danstar munich yeast and carbonate higher to approx 3 volumes. Not a true german style with the dry yeast, but hoping for a tasty brew :)

Latest posts

Back