bottling and corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorbarose

Reaction score
hey guys-wondering how many bottles you get from a 5 gallon wort? My wort boiled down and didn't top off enough to get 5 gallons. in the secondary it measured 4.5 gal, but I only bottled 1 full case and 1 1/2 six packs. used corn sugar that's measured out for a 5 gallon wort. worried i might get bottle bombs.

let me know what you think

hey guys-wondering how many bottles you get from a 5 gallon wort? My wort boiled down and didn't top off enough to get 5 gallons. in the secondary it measured 4.5 gal, but I only bottled 1 full case and 1 1/2 six packs. used corn sugar that's measured out for a 5 gallon wort. worried i might get bottle bombs.

let me know what you think

You'll be fine.

RDWHAHB

I just bottled my first batch (5gal) and I ended up with 47-12 oz bottles.. I was pretty generous with the trub that I left behind in the primary and secondary...

If you get a program like Beersmith, you can calculate your exact amount of priming sugar (by weight!) according to how much beer you are bottling. I love doing it this way because it takes all of the guessing out of the equation.

I usually shoot for 5.5 (maybe a touch more) gallons or so in order to end up with 5 gallons to bottle. So far, in 30+ batches bottled, only 2 have ended up with less than 50 bottles. Most often I end up with 52 or 53 bottles.

so, if I am going to top it off in the primary with about 1-2 gallons, so I am fermenting about 5 gallons - can I add tap water? Does it have to be boiled before I add it into the primary so it is sterile and clean? (I know, totally amateur question)

Boiled is much safer, but will also add I personally use bottled drinking water.... I'm still new myself so take that with a grain of salt......

Latest posts

Back