FV lid doesnt seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer135

Reaction score
Is this really an issue? Should I pursue a fix? I'm new to this so, it really bothers me when I don't see the airlock bubbling for longer than a day or two, knowing full well that there is in fact fermentation still happening inside the FV.

Anyway, as for fixes, I was thinking possibly a bead of silicone around the inside ring where the lid snaps to the bucket? I already tried taping around the lid... No worky. Any suggestions or thoughts?

The airlock only bubbles the 1st couple days because it finishes initial fermentation,the vigorous part. It then slows down fermenting till it reaches a stable FG. So the lid is likely fine. I wouldn't use solvent based sealers on my FV's.

You don't think that even after the initial vigorous fermentation is over that you'd at least get a bubble every once in a while if there was a good seal on the lid??? Co2 is still being created, no?

The airlock only bubbles the 1st couple days because it finishes initial fermentation,the vigorous part. It then slows down fermenting till it reaches a stable FG. So the lid is likely fine. I wouldn't use solvent based sealers on my FV's.

+1 just let it ride. It is note required to have a air tight seal on your fermenter. Some commercial breweries still use open fermentation vessels. An airlock is only an indicator that the gas pressure in your bucket is greater than the pressure in the environment it is resting. A hydrometer will tell you the state of your fermentation and when it is complete. Patience is the key.

You don't think that even after the initial vigorous fermentation is over that you'd at least get a bubble every once in a while if there was a good seal on the lid??? Co2 is still being created, no?

Yes,co2 is still being produced,but at a much lower rate. It's just eating the remaing sugars a little slower. Geez man,they gettin full. Hard to keep going after the initial Romanesk feast. It may bubble once in a while,it may not. Just let it ride,as this is the less active part of fermentation.

Back