Cloudy Lager!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoRoToRiUm

Reaction score
Northern Brewer American Lager Extract Kit

3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
2 lbs. Rice Syrup Solids
1 oz. Saaz (60)

Wyeast #2007 Pilsen Lager Yeast (Smacl Pack)

Partial boil with ~2.5 gal, yield 2 gal wort. Cold crashed with IC, racked and topped off with 3 more gallons. Unfortunately, no hydro (maybe I should add that to my nonexistent XMAS list). Pitched, good active fermentation days 3-6, then slowly subsiding.

I've always had good clear results with just doing one long primary ferment. That said, this was fermenting for two months. Racked over to serving keg, force carbed. I figured the first pint or two would have sediment, but it's still real cloudy. It taste decent though.

I don't feel like going the gelatin or Irish Moss route; Should I pull this keg and let it condition more at room temp, or just let it sit in kegerator in hopes the sediment will bottom out and be gone in a few pints? Thanks!

Not sure, but maybe someone else can comment.
But in the use future you can use, "whilfloc" in your boil at the 40min mark, works for me.
Also using a secondary works nice for my lagers.

Lagers usually benefit from a secondary, seeing as you will be lagering them for an extended period of time. I rack all my lagers to secondary and then cold-condition for however long and have never had a cloudy lager.

I know secondaries are out of style, but without taking other steps (and even then), they're hard to beat at kicking in flocculation. Irish Moss does help, but you're beyond that with this batch.

If you don't want to use gelatin, pretty much the only thing to do is keep it cold and let it sit. If you went straight from primary, I wonder how much sediment you might have in your keg. If the dip tube is stuck in the sediment, I imagine it might take a little while to draw a clear beer. How long has it been kegged?

Secondaries are a necessity for lagers (unless using a conical). This secondary can be a carboy or a keg. In your case, I would let it lager in the keg for a few weeks and then try it. Much of the "cloudiness" should settle out. Traditionally (and currently most commercial breweries), they use a primary, secondary, AND lagering tank (tertiary?). But for the homebrewer, the benefit of this isn't much, so we typically combine secondary and lagering into one vessel.

If your OG was anywhere near 1.042 (per NB), I can't see that thing taking 2 months to ferment. Lagers need to be removed from the primary yeast as soon as possible (within reason) after fermentation is complete because once the primary yeast are done "cleaning things up" (diacetyl rest, for example), they can start to produce off-flavor compounds.

Back