I skunked My Beer...and it was good.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an experimenter. I decided to intentionally skunk a six pack of my "Back to Basics" ale I brewed a few weeks ago.

I began by setting the six pack (bottled in clear Corona bottles) out in the sun for 20 minutes yesterday. Brought them back in and chilled. Openned one last nite and...ot real effet.

Took two of those same bottles and set them in the windowsill for 60 minutes, giving them a total 80 minute exposure. Chilled them all day and openned one about 20 minutes ago to drink with dinner.

S U C C E S S !!!!

This ale had a nice flavor that fell right between a Heineken and a St. Pauli's girl. Smooth, hint of that skunk that I've grown to love in those beers and just...awesome.

Ironic that I used the Corona bottles because the SWMO openned the other 80minute bottle, added a lime (ecchhhh) and commented that she didn't think I was buying commercial beers anymore.

I think I'm on to something here.

BierMuncher said:
This ale had a nice flavor that fell right between a Heineken and a St. Pauli's girl. Smooth, hint of that skunk that I've grown to love in those beers and just...awesome.
Dammit, Bier! Stop encouraging the intentional skunkers! I just might've mentioned it before, but I HATE the fact that people associate that wretched off flavor with good imported lager!

Yuri_Rage said:
Dammit, Bier! Stop encouraging the intentional skunkers! I just might've mentioned it before, but I HATE the fact that people associate that wretched off flavor with good imported lager!
heh, heh...

sorry Yuri.

Ain't any less natural than adding lactose to back sweeten an Oktoberfest.

Sides...my new "import" is about 20 cents a bottle. :D

BierMuncher said:
Ain't any less natural than adding lactose to back sweeten an Oktoberfest.
Ya got a point there...but "sweet" is often a desirable flavor. "Skunk" is almost always described as an off flavor.

Hey, it's your beer...skunk away!

I hear ya muncher, I've grown a softspot for the heineken "skunky" flavor. Isn't diactyl an off flavor but used in certain styles? Fruity esters? see a pattern?

I'm going to th in-laws tonight so I decided to "doctor" up some more of my Gold Rush Ale.

60 minutes in some sunshine, iced down to 31 degrees and a twist of lime, and I ought to be able to fool at least a few people....

Yuri....DON'T LOOK

skunked_1.jpg

skunked_2.jpg

Back