Anyone know the SG of blueberry juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
Hi all!

It's been a while since I've done any brewing or cidermaking, but I've got the bug again and I'm looking at trying a small batch of blueberry cider. I'll be using Nottingham yeast and mixing apple and blueberry juice, most likely a 1 gallon batch for testing.

If anyone happens to know the specific gravity of blueberry juice I'd love to know so I can start on making a recipe.

Thanks!

Eric

I think it's going to vary depending on the brand, and if it's got additional sugar in it. I think you'll just have to get the juice and go from there. Normally the juices that I've used (cherry or apple) are around 1.040.

I'd say that will defiantly be variable. You'll have to take gravity measurement yourself.

Sent from my FroyoEris using Home Brew Talk

the brand I used - Weyman's?? or something like that had and og of around 1.040 for their 100% juice. I don't remeber if it was 100% blueberry, or had a mix of grape and such along with the blueberry. But it was about 1.040. But I'd expect others to very.

If it is commercial, you can get a rough calculation by doing this. Take the nutritional value. Usually it is 1 cup -8oz- 240ml. Then the sugar level of say 24 grm. Now divide the grams of sugar by the ml of volume. This will give you the Brix. Then roughtly 4*Brix is the SG, so a brix of 10 is about a 1.040 - this is not exact, but close. You can do this in the store with your cell phones calculator. They get really upset when you take your hydrometer to the bottles.

I'm hoping to find some 100% blueberry juice if I can. I know it will be $$$ so I'm going to do a 1 gal test batch to start off with. I'd rather not have to deal with the mess of using fruit right now.

Since the gravity isn't much different than regular store bought apple juice, I suppose I need to come up with a ratio of apple/blueberry. Maybe 3:1?

Eric

Back