Cracked Carboy, what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jballard

Reaction score
So right now I have a 5g carboy that has 4.5g of apple juice and 5lbs of honey fermenting, I started it on the 14th with a og of 1.084, it now has a sg of 1.034.

I just noticed that the carboy is leaking, from a good sized crack that runs almost completely across the diameter of the carboy.

My question is this: can I rack this soon in the fermentation process without completely screwing up the fermentation process? Will I have to repitch the yeast. Its still fermenting getting 1-2 bubbles per second.

Im afraid to touch it, move it , and worried that its going to break and leave a mess all over the place.

Can you rack it from where it is into another vessel??? That's what I would do..

Yep me too. It'll be hard if it's on the floor (no gravity to assist a siphon) but try to get it out without moving the carboy.

And be careful- if you pick it up, it might break and it could be dangerous!

With a crack that is large enough to leak, I would rack asap, and just hope that the contents are ok. If they batch doesn't come out perfect, at least you still have something other than a big sticky puddle!

I would try pumping it out with a pump. Moving it could likely cause it to break completely and there are many horror stories of broken carboys causing serious injury.

Get yourself an autosiphon and pump it into another container. And, be very careful if you decide to move the carboy. If that thing shatters, you're going to have more than spilt beer to worry about.

Thanks guys for the responses, I'm gunna rack it tomorrow when I can go pick up another carboy.

Back