false bottom or what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thndrdad

Reaction score
Ok, starting to make the leap. Just purchased a ten gallon rubbermaid cooler for my mlt. Question is... Should I go with a false bottom,copper type manifold or screen type? Done a lot of reading about pros and cons of both. But still would like some more opinions.Any would be appreciated!:mug:

I went with a false bottom from www.morebeer.com. So far, I've had very little grain go through it and I've never had a clog.

EDIT: For D*Bo and Kubed: I'm knocking on some wood (well, particle board really, but there's wood in it!) right now. :)

So what is your advice besides" you just screwed yourself"? You are not helping me or anybody else with that.

I use a SS braid from Lowe's in my cooler. I am very happy with it. It is the only thing I have used so I can't compare. I don't see why any of the other options wouldn't work too, I like the braid because I could get it local and it is cheap.

I skimped on the Rubbermaid instructions and bought a "polymer mesh" braid and I used the square end bolt rather than a second nipple and square bolt.

The first run sucked, I ended up scooping out the grain into a pair of my wifes (unused) nylons.

So I went to Home Depot and bought a stainless braid, a second nipple and used some plastic computer cable ties to hold everything together and it works EXCELLENTLY.

It cost me about the same as a 12 inch false bottom but honestly, with False Bottoms as hard to find as they are, I decided to make my own and I'm happy.

Follow the instructions found https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008 and you'll be good. :)

thndrdad said:
So what is your advice besides" you just screwed yourself"? You are not helping me or anybody else with that.
99% sure that was directed at Nyxator. I hope he knocked on some wood :D

Exactly.
Every time someone at the Drop Zone says I've never, it happens on the next jump.

And I've used the stainless braid with good results.

All right, sounds like the stainless braid is the is the most popular so far. And now I get the post earlier. I try to avoid those (I never) quotes myself. Wasn't long after I said that, or maybe just thought it, I got my first infection:( Anyway thanks for the advice all:mug:

I use a SS braid loop and have only batch/no sparged to date. Works well (no stuck sparges) but, I do see evidence of channeling. When running off the sparge, it obviously pools near the spigot outlet. My efficiency sux at about 70% max. From other's experiences though, I suspect my LHBS' grain crush.

If you're going to fly sparge, then I believe a false bottom should be better as there is less opportunity for channeling.
If you are going to batch sparge, this isn't an issue, and braid, false bottom, or manifold should all work equally well.

-a.

False bottom here. Tried the braid once and hated it, stuck like crazy, I like the sturdiness of the false bottom, my braid was mangled after 1 batch.

ajf said:
If you're going to fly sparge, then I believe a false bottom should be better as there is less opportunity for channeling.
If you are going to batch sparge, this isn't an issue, and braid, false bottom, or manifold should all work equally well.

-a.

I have a braid and fly sparge. I really don't have a problem with channeling. The braid gives me plenty of surface area.

As far as cleaning, I use the PET push fittings and the braid assembly just pops out. I rinse it and blow dry with an air compressor.

It seems that people either love SS braids or they hate them. I love mine -- I have crushed so fine that I was certain I would get a stuck sparge, but that braid just never clogs. Also, if you reinforce them with some tubing (see the last page or two of my MLT thread in my sig) they stand up really well.

Honestly, since a braid is only $5, it is definitely worth a shot -- you might really like it (most do) and save yourself a good chunk of cash. Otherwise, you can drop some beans on a false bottom and you are only out a measly $5 at the end of the day.

Cookiebaggs said:
I have a braid and fly sparge. I really don't have a problem with channeling. The braid gives me plenty of surface area.

As far as cleaning, I use the PET push fittings and the braid assembly just pops out. I rinse it and blow dry with an air compressor.
I'd agree that your setup probably suffers very little from channeling as the braid effectively covers the whole bottom of the cooler. Looks great. :)

=a.

Back