Newbie with Problems with Basic Mozzarella

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasaug

Reaction score
I purchased a thirty minute mozzarella kit, but had difficulties with making it. Before I progress further with a hobby that I have spent lots of time considering entering, I want to see any advice on what I may have did wrong.

Basically, I followed the instructions included in the kit. The curds formed, but didn't look as impressively solid as some pictures I saw. Still, a significant amount of curds formed and I progressed through the instructions pretty easily.

The problem I had was in forming the mozzarella into a stretchy material that could be turned into mozzarella. What I had was a loose and gooey substance that was not quite stretchy enough to make cheese. The best comparison I have is pizza dough that is too wet and doughy to work with. It stuck to my hands and couldn't be formed all that easily.

Eventually, I wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in ice water. The texture is closer to cream cheese then mozzarella, though it is kind of a hybrid. The flavor is not bad (too salty, but that is easy to fix), but not quite mozzarella.

Would like to see where I went wrong. Here are some missteps I may have made.

1) I used pasterized whole milk (not ultra pasterized) and added a pint of heavy cream. I did so because I read the heavy cream retains some of the bacteria that may be removed from the milk. Could this have led to problems?

2) I don't have a microwave and used a double boiler technique to heat the cheese up to form it once the curds formed. It was fairly hot (to the touch it was hard to work with), so I don't think this caused many problems.

Any other similar experiences to mine and any recommendations?

Thanks.

We haven't had good results using milk from the grocery store, no matter which cheese we make. I would suggest looking around for a dairy that sells the pasturized non-homogized milk. With the cheeses we have made it worked much better.

To find them i just googled dairies near by my location.

Back