Effects of different sugars and sugar vs. force carbonation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yinzer2

Reaction score
I just brewed a Saison and I'm going to carbonate it in a keg, but I'm looking at alternatives to force carbonation.

So has anyone noticed a difference (hopefully positive) with adding DME or what I'm looking at, some syrup (D-45 from Candi Syrup).

And how does one go about this. I assume that before the beer goes into the carbonation vessel all the conditioning has been done, cold crashed and transfered as clear as possible, etc. So I've eyed balled, weighed the keg, whatever and see that I have 4.8 gallons. I do the math and see that I need xgrams of syrup. Do I just sanitize the package, put on some gloves and weight in to a sanitized bowl and dump it into the keg? Add a few pounds of CO2 and set it in a warm room? Do I need to boil the syrup w/water?

Do I need to boil the syrup w/water?

you need to sanitize anything that goes into the beer, yes.

DME has not been thru a boil to drive off DMS, so adding it to finished beer can add off flavors. you can experiment with any source of sugar (maple syrup, honey, rock candy, belgian candied sugar, etc.), but you need to know the % fermentable sugar content of whatever you choose (which is not always easy to find or figure out).

however if you are trying to impart flavors, its usually best to add those ingredients to the boil at some time, or prior to finishing fermentation atleast, so that any undesireables or unfermentables have less of a chance to effect the finished beer. priming sugar is easiest to bottle with, its very clean flavor wise, and is nearly 100% fermentable so very easy to calculate how much to use.

DME hasn't been through a boil? DME is made from LME and I've never read anything about boiling DME or LME for 60+ minutes.

I know the amount to add per gallon, it's on the website. If contamination is a concern maybe I'll can it in my pressure cooker.

just wondering if anyone has used this product for priming.

Back