Brewing 5gal batch with 10 gal setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnel

Reaction score
Hi all i've been lurking on here for a while now absorbing as much as I could over the last year or so, figured it was time to start posting and contributing. Now that i've been brewing for a little over a year I've decided to start slowly building a better system for AG, plus I was able to just score 3 50L kegs for 20 each. I was wondering if there would be any negative reasons that I wouldn't be able to brew a 5 gal batch in a 10 gal system (other than why brew 5 when you could do 10 :rockin: ) ?

Hi all i've been lurking on here for a while now absorbing as much as I could over the last year or so, figured it was time to start posting and contributing. Now that i've been brewing for a little over a year I've decided to start slowly building a better system for AG, plus I was able to just score 3 50L kegs for 20 each. I was wondering if there would be any negative reasons that I wouldn't be able to brew a 5 gal batch in a 10 gal system (other than why brew 5 when you could do 10 :rockin: ) ?

I think you answered your own question because "why brew 5 when you could do 10" is the only reason.

LOL yea I was hoping that was the case! I just wasn't sure if the volume to kettle size would be an issue with faster boil off or what not.

I just want to be able to brew a smaller batch if necessary when I'm trying a crazy experimental.

Cheers!

You can absolutely do that. But you can't brew 10 gallons with a small setup. And you are also able to brew some reaaallly big beers with your setup, which you couldn't have done with a smaller one. Good job going big!

I think that you would lose the same amount to boil off regardless of it being a 5g or 10g batch. You would have to adjust your boil volume accordingly. That just means that boil volume for a 10g batch is not just twice the volume for a 5g batch.

Not a big deal. I am also getting my first keggle set up for all of the advantages it offers.

I'm right there with you man. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch on Sunday in my brand new keggle. Just built it today. The only things that I wonder about are if my Lil sparky type hop bag (also built today) will be submerged enough and what my volume will be post boil as I'm not measuring it.

Back