10 gallon Boil Amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to go from 5 to 10 gallon batches. I'll be using the typical Keggle setup.

With my 10 gallon Megapot I start with 8 gallons to boil down to 5 1/2 in a 1 hour boil.

So do things stay the same when I double the batch size? Will I need to start out with a 16 gallon boil to end with 10 1/2 - 11 gallon.

A 16 gallon boil in a keggle would be hard to control boilover.

This is the best answer I've found:
The conclusion I came to was to just boil your wort one time in 70°F air temperature and about 50% relative humidity (if possible for your region), keep track of how powerful your burner is running and use that setting all the time. Calculate your boil-off rate and use this number as your standard. Then you can expect a few more percent per hour in cold/dry weather and less in hot/humid weather. If you're in the desert (hot/dry), it will be a very high evaporation rate.

..and don't forget to account for any other ingredients being added which will change your wort volume before, during, and after boil.

I'm losing 16% in a 1 hour rolling boil in my keggle, not ten gallon batches yet.

I'm thinking 12-13 gallons

the big boys will have to chime in on this one

I'd like to revive this thread :)

w/ a 15.5Gal keggle, what is the max boil amount? Revvy mentioned some kind of product to reduce the boil over effect but I can't recall what that is..

suppose you boiled 12 gallons and it boiled down to 9. In an all-grain brew, could we top up in the last 15 minutes or so to get it to 10 or 10.5Gal??

I do exclusively 10 gallon batches in a Blingman... Here in the soggy south I shoot for a pre-boil volume of about 13 gallons inclusive of all extracts if they are being used..

fermcap s...I have never used it, but others swear it's great.
Fermcap-S Foam Inhibitor- 1 oz. :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

What I do when I am maxing out my kettle, is to reserve a bit of the sparge runnings, and add them as I boil off so as to maintain volume of the batch.

Rather difficult for someone to predict your boiloff in a keggle, this will depend on intensity of boil, wind, temperature, and humidity, while brewing????

Yes, fimcap's. I also like your idea of reserving a bit of the runnings. Thanx Wilser!

If you go from 8 to 5 1/2 in an hour. You'll need 12 1/2 gallons and you'll hit 10. Just because you have a larger volume of water, that doesn't make it boil off any faster.

If you go from 8 to 5 1/2 in an hour. You'll need 12 1/2 gallons and you'll hit 10. Just because you have a larger volume of water, that doesn't make it boil off any faster.

yes, no mater what the volume of liquid being boiled, you will loose the same amount throughout an hour. Here in Boulder, I loose about 1.5 gal/hr boiling.

I usually do about 14 but I shoot for a final volume of 12 gallons, that way I end up with full 5 gallon kegs.

i start at 14 and end up with 11. i pretty much always boil over a little with 14 gallons in the keggle though

That seems like alot...thats 2.5 gallons boiloff in an hour! What type of burner are you using?

I use this one. Get a very good hard boil. But I will say that the 2.5 gal boiloff was this winter. Probably about 40* F and Dry air. (Winter in Iowa) So may find different in summer humidity.

Burner.jpg

My preboil volume is 12.5 gallons in order to get between 10-10.5 gallons after an hour boil. I use a keggle/turkey fryer setup.

Did my 2nd AG today. Started with roughly 12.5g and ended up with 10.5-11.0. Boil was 90 minutes. I started out doing pm on the stove top and I swear by the Fermcap-s. The stuff is amazing.

Latest posts

Back