Repairing fiberglass sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I was cleaning carboys this afternoon in the basement and I dropped one in the sink next to the washer. It's a twin tub job that I assume is fiberglass. Well, the carboy is fine, but I cracked the bottom of the sink.

What can I use to fix this? Are there products made for it, or do I need to get something like an automotive patching kit? The crack is about 4 inches long. Unfortunately at the spot where it happened the underside of the sink is not flat. This would seem to preclude gluing a piece of plywood under the crack.

It doesn't have to be pretty and it really doesn't have to be that strong (fortunately, it's not the side of the sink that the washer drains into). So, it just needs to not leak all over the place ever time a little water goes in it.

Head over to Ace hardware--- there's a variety of waterproof adhesives that will meet your needs.

Well I fiberglass surfboards for a living. the best solution I can offer without looking at it would be to patch it from the bottom... I assume the surface has some sort of a gel coat like a boat would have. so the bottom is most likely the best place, if all you want to do is seal the crack... You can go to home depot, in the paint section you will find resin, it will come with catalyst... and you need some fiberglass cloth, you could really use any type i would use a few layers, saturate them well and make sure you pre-sand the whole area and surrounding area with something like 40-60 grit. Make sure its clean of dust dirt and grim. Have at it... any other questions e-mail me... [email protected]

When I was in high school (back right after the end of the Civil War I think) we used to repair holes in car bodies. We would buy kits that came with resin and fiberglass cloth. Do they still sell that kind of thing?

Back