Can low pressure NG burners be used with low pressure propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brew rig has 3 low pressure NG burners and a BBQ quick disconnect hose that I attach directly to a gas outlet at my house. I'd like to be able to take the rig on the road to do brews and am wondering if I can use a propane tank with a suitable regulator to deliver low pressure propane to the burners.

I'm well aware of the differences (incompatibilities) between the normal propane high pressure burners and the natural gas low pressure ones, but I'm not familiar with any possible interoperability to use the burners with both low pressure fuels. At low pressures is the BTU output similar enough to do this?

Thoughts? Anyone doing this?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

NG and propane need different amounts of oxygen to burn well. Beyond pressure, the orifice size, (and how open the air vents are, if so equipped), controls how fast the gas shoots out, how much air it takes in with it, and so on. So you really need the right orifice for the job.

I have the extra orifices for my Hurricane burners to do what you want to do. I don't do it because taking all my stuff somewhere else is not practical without a truck or van which I don't own. Swapping the orifices would only take a few minutes.

The burners are 10 tip jet burners. I don't want to swap 30 tips!

Sounds like going mobile is not an option. :(

Seems like you need to invent a quick disconnect burner tip OR

buy a second set of burners with different size tips and quick disconnect the burners. Should not be that expensive, I think?

Back