Saison fermentation - smelled amazing, now smells odd and sulphery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsix

Reaction score
I brewed a slightly modified (hoppier) version of Jamil's saison recipe last Saturday (6/12). As a little experiment, I also pitched smack packs of Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) and 3724 (Belgian Saison). I did this knowing that 3724 dies out around 1.035, hoping that 3711 would pick up at the end and dry it out... as well as contribute some flavor.

ANYWAY... for the first several days there was vigorous fermentation, and the aromas coming from the airlock were incredible... like this sublime mix of tropical fruit, pears, and spices.

This morning I smelled it and, replacing the amazing saison-y aroma was something unpleasant, slightly odd, slightly sulphery. Is this typical for late-stage of saison fermentation, or is something else going on?

I'm going to take a hydro read and a small sample today to taste. Oh, and as a side note, temperature has remained around 80-82F.

Hi Flat,
The temperature is a bit high. Not sure what those yeast strains are rated for. Also, some yeast strains produce sulpher smells when fermenting. I dont know about those strains in particular but it may just be a fermentation by product from the yeast that will mellow out and dissapear at later stages.

-Dustin

Saison yeast often are meant to be fermented higher than other yeasts. I did my saison last year with the temps in the high 80's and it came out beautiful, with all that nice belgian funkiness. Yeasts often produce sulphor and other compounds when fermenting, but if you leave it go long enough they will clean up after themselves.

Relax

I don't think you have a problem. The smells that are being outgassed are leaving your beer. Just make sure it attenuates fully, leave it a couple days longer, and you should be fine. Next time maybe start at a lower temp and bring it up if you can. I like these yeasts to finish at high temps.

Latest posts

Back