Beginner with some questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, this is my first time posting in this forum, so whats up.

i have a couple of quick questions so if anyone could help out that would be great.

im still a beginner brewer, ive made a few batches and so far so good.

i decided to get candi sugar this time just to check it out and see if i noticed anything different from corn sugar. do I use the same amount in a 5 gallon batch? around 5 oz?

second, is there anything wrong with using my glass carboy as the primary fermenter?

thanks again.

can't answer the candi sugar question, never used it.

As far as the carboy goes, how big is your carboy? If it's 5 gal then you will probably lose some through the blowoff tube during fermentation. If it's 6.5 gal then you will be much better off (but still use a blow off tube). Do you have another carboy you can use for a secondary or do you just want to use a primary then bottle? There's nothing wrong with using the plastic bucket for the primary.

i ended up just using the bucket.

but now i have a new question. my airlock is bubbling out through the little holes on its cap, and the water inside is now brown. i cant remember if this happened on the other batches i made. is this normal?

sounds like ya got a real good fermentation going, if you can replace the air lock with a blow off tube for now. Once the fermentation slows down a bit you can replace the air lock.

If ya dont have acess to a blow off tube right now you can just take the air lock off, rinse it off and re sanatize it quick and put it back in, just keep an eye on it

Back